Sometimes students need a little inspiration to spark their interest in reading. Ann Cashen, a Corbett Prep teacher and gifted coordinator, shared some of her ideas to instill a love of literacy in students of all ages. All can be done at home, independently or together with parents.
- Read to a stuffed animal
- Read to your pet
- Read outside
- Relax with a book in a bubble bath or in the pool
- Listen to an audiobook at home or when traveling for a family vacation
- Find an unusual or interesting spot to read and take a picture to share with teachers
- Plan a meal the main character would eat, and cook and enjoy it as a family
- Turn off the lights or duck into a tent and read by flashlight
- Create placemats that represent character, setting and conflict to share with family members
- Use the computer to design an ad that ties into the book
- Craft a bookmark for the book and give the book to a friend or a Little Free Library
Let us know if you try any of these or come up with your own unique idea!