Download for Original Heads' Letter
GRATITUDE TO OUR PFA—PARENT FACULTY ASSOCIATION!
Dear Corbett Prep families,
- We are so appreciative of the great attendance to our very first PFA meeting of the year! The turnout was impressive and appreciated.
- Many thanks to all of the PFA Executive Committee and all of the Committee Chairpersons for helping to organize an informative morning.
- Thank you to our catering team for having coffee and a light breakfast ready when everyone arrived.
- The Grand Room was so beautiful as we enjoyed each other, learned a lot about opportunities, and were surrounded by greenery with the trees seen through the windows around the room.
Thank you all again for supporting our PFA!
REMINDER: EAST SIDE BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
TONIGHT for PARENTS! THURSDAY, SEPT. 5, PREK3 through 5th Grade.
EAST SIDE BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT: Begins at 6 p.m. in Gatlin Hall
- We begin promptly together in Gatlin Hall with all teachers and parents for an overview and key information. 6-6:30 p.m. for PREK3 through FIFTH GRADE.
- SESSION I in the classrooms: Begins promptly at 6:45 p.m. and ends at 7:45 p.m.
- SESSION II: Begins promptly at 8 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m. (If you have children in two divisions, please note the times, so that you can attend both sessions. If you have children in three divisions, plan ahead and divide up your time between parents and/or caregivers.)
- ALL SPECIALS: Music, Art, Drama/Dance, Physical Education, Library, Spanish, and Technology will also be available and eager to meet with our parents in the Laney Library to speak individually or in small groups from 6:30-9 p.m. Please take time to meet them to just say hello or ask your questions about the variety of program options available. Dr. Swarzman will also be available and greeting people in the Laney Library.
WEST SIDE MIDDLE SCHOOL BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT for PARENTS
THURSDAY, SEPT. 12, 6:30-9 p.m., Grades 6, 7 and 8
- FOR ALL PARENTS: Middle School begins promptly at 6:30 p.m. in the Bellini Middle School Gym and ends at 9 p.m.
- Please block out this time for meeting with and hearing from all Middle School teachers during our rotation after joining together in the Middle School Bellini Gym.
- Please arrive by 6:30 p.m. to be placed in a rotation schedule, which both teachers and parents will follow.
REMINDER: CANVAS COMMUNICATION PARENT TRAINING
Mr. Michael Johnson, Associate Headmaster, reports: We are entering our third year using the Canvas Learning Management System. As a reminder, it is designed to make teaching and learning easier by connecting all the digital tools and resources teachers use into one simple place.
Canvas is used by top universities and colleges all over the world, and now by the incredible students and teachers at Corbett Prep! We invite all interested parents to join me for a training in Canvas including installing the app, getting logged in, and how to use Canvas to stay connected to your student's teachers and classrooms.
The training dates and times are:
- Thursday, Sept. 12, 5:30 p.m. – 7th Grade Community Space (Before Middle School Back to School Night)
- Friday, Sept. 13, 8:05 a.m. – Grand Room
NEWS FROM FIFTH GRADE
Mrs. Wenzel, Mr. Mimbs, Mr. Fields and Mrs. Newton report: The first week of Fifth Grade is always an important milestone, as our students transition to the role of leadership in the East Side Penthouse. We began the year with team building and class building activities to start creating our class community.
We asked our students this question: What is a community? Students came together and brainstormed words that exemplified what a community should look like. Throughout the week, students continually added ideas to how we can exhibit a nurturing and supportive community.
At the conclusion of the first week, students participated in a 4-Corner Debate. Some of the statements that the students contemplated were: Members of a community feel responsible for each other. Communities are a kind of group, but not all groups are communities. Our classroom is a community. A community is a culture. Communities should only include people who are friends and who like each other.
Students wrote their ideas to support their opinions on these statements individually and then moved to the location of the room that correlated with their response. Students could choose between either Strongly Agree, Agree, Strongly Disagree, or Disagree. The dialogue led to the importance of "living above the line" and reinforced the creation of a community that honors dignity and respect for all!
WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MIDDLE SCHOOL YOU ASK?
MIDDLE SCHOOL UPDATE
Jennifer Jagdmann, Middle School Division Leader, reports: Our Middle Schoolers have had a tremendous start to the 2019-20 School Year!
After our First Day Restart, all students have been engaged, working toward their new goals for the year!
Last week, every 6th, 7th, and 8th grader attended a two-day Success Summit, formerly known as the Middle School Retreat. With the unprecedented focus and engagement demonstrated by the Middle Schoolers, Dr. Swarzman was moved to update the name to the 2019 Success Summit! The Success Summit focused on three very important concepts: 1) Mindfulness in our daily lives 2) Creating personal and team pledges for the year with the tools for the THREE V's for positive results 3) Discovering our unique learning styles through KTAV.
After an exciting two days focusing on social-emotional wellness and leadership, the students have transitioned nicely back into their Middle School routines. Mr. Melnick, who is so pleased to return to Corbett Prep in his role in instructional technology, announced that every student has completed the full first two and a half weeks in the Middle School computer lab discussing the ways in which Art and Technology meet to form our International Baccalaureate Design Class.
Exercises in Canvas and both our Technology Agreement and Academic Honesty Policy have prepared our students for an immersive school year that is creative, innovative and above the line. Our 7th and 8th graders will be preparing for World Character Day, and 6th grade begins the process of becoming more organized with their Locker Design Project. Students are excited and very focused on their work in our state of the art computer lab. ...Thank you to the PFA Big Event and Annual Golf Classic for the funds to support approximately 80 percent of our technology purchases.
BY PFA President Kaly Srinivas
Thank you to all who joined us for the first PFA General Meeting/Volunteer Fair yesterday. We hope that we were able to give you a variety of options to choose from to volunteer. We look forward to seeing you during our monthly meetings. To help ease the planning we try to schedule the PFA monthly meetings on the 1st Wednesday of each month. Future meeting dates:
- 12/18 (Holiday Breakfast)
Please remember the PFA CLASS FUND!! Please contribute to your child's class fund. This will help your Classroom Ambassadors coordinate with the teachers and plan some amazing classroom celebrations. We are very grateful to those that have already made their contributions.
Included in this week's Thursday folder you will find information about upcoming exciting PFA events:
ANNUAL FALL FESTIVAL—SEPTEMBER 27
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!
- We invite you to join us for this fun-filled family friendly event on Friday, Sept. 27. This year's Fall Festival Committee Co-chairs have added some exciting and adventurous events to the festivities this year. We are very grateful to Sacred Pepper and Laser Ops for their donations.
- This is an admission-free event – all Corbett Prep families can come enjoy all of the activities just by being present! There is only a cost for meal purchases.
- This link provides you with meal purchase options. We have several options to choose from. We request you to make your meal purchases ahead of time because we will have limited quantities available for purchase at the door.
- All meals include cookie/fruit cup and a bottle of water.
- Pre-purchase - $7; at the door - $10
PEACOCK CLASSIC GOLF TOURNAMENT (Oct. 14) & FALL SOCIAL – A CORBETT PREP TRADITION (Oct. 18)
PFA will be hosting the 25th Annual Golf Tournament & Fall Social renamed The Peacock Classic. We begin the week on Monday, Oct. 14, with the Golf Tournament and wrap up the week on Friday, Oct. 18, with the Fall Social. We have several sponsorship opportunities available. Please visit the link for more information about sponsorships, golf tournament and dinner tickets. All PFA fundraisers raise money for technology for our classrooms.
You Say.....I play sports other than golf.....We say....Join us for the party on Friday Night.
You Say....I would rather play golf than be at a party....We say...Join us on Monday for Golf and/or...
WE SAY: We hope you join us for both great events!
NOON DISMISSAL – SEPT. 18
TEACHER IN-SERVICE on WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 18:
Reminder that it is important to pick up your children by 12 p.m. to allow our teachers to have lunch and begin in-service training promptly as well as prepare for conferences.
- EXTENDED DAY PROVIDED on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 12 until 6 p.m. Activities will be based in the Extended Day Room. The cost for the afternoon will be $15, regardless of the length of stay (except for those on the Yearly-Extended Day plan). An afternoon snack and bottled water will be provided. All students attending Extended Day are required to bring A LUNCH.
- Parents interested in this special Extended Day session on Wednesday, September 18, 2019, need to REGISTER and PRE-PAY by phone at (813) 961-3087, or in person in the office by Tuesday, Sept. 17. If you are on the yearly extended day plan, half days are already included.