YOUNG AUTHORS DAY: Parents Invited to Join Us!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2018
For many summers, Corbett Prep teachers have attended a week of gifted trainings at the University of Connecticut's highly acclaimed Confratute Program. Every year they return enthusiastically sharing about the sessions attended. One of those sessions every year has been led by Dr. Susannah Richards, who is a national leader in English Language Arts and Young Adult Literature. At the insistence of our teachers, we are investing in her to come to Tampa for our students on Friday, Sept. 21 to inspire our Young Authors!
Dr. Susannah Richards is an associate professor of education at Eastern Connecticut State University. She earned a PhD in Educational Psychology/Gifted Education from the University of Connecticut where she worked with Dr. Joseph Renzulli and Sally Reis on various delivery models for gifted and talented learners. She was a member of the 2013 John Newbery Award Committee, 2017 Geisel Committee, and recently served on the inaugural Committee for Excellence in Graphic Literature for Children. She writes a column about books for the National Association of Gifted Children and regularly presents on books and "book-ish" topics at international, national and state conferences including ILA, NCTE, AASL, NCSS and NSTA.
We are looking forward to her inspiring presentation, which will be attended by all of our students and teachers. We are pleased to offer our Corbett Prep parents the opportunity to join your classes to hear her speak on Friday, Sept. 21 in the Farish Center. She will present to each division throughout the day. Look in your email for the specific times for each division. Parents are welcome to join in throughout the day.
STUDENT DIRECTORY ALERT AND ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Please help us be ACCURATE by checking YOUR THURSDAY FOLDER to PROOF your STUDENT DIRECTORY and EMERGENCY VERIFICATION FORM:
- In your Thursday Folder, you will find your directory AND emergency and directory contact verification form.
- Please check to see if your name, address, telephone number, and email address are correct. The information is for emergency notifications, general contact, and the directory.
- Please return any CORRECTED information in your child's Thursday Folder this week.
- Thank you for your immediate help!
CORBETT PREP STUDENT DIRECTORY: What Are The Directory Pages?
- We are excited to once again offer our Corbett Prep community the opportunity to promote their businesses with a business card size listing for $35.00.
- This is a good opportunity to share with our Corbett Prep community of parents, teachers, staff and Board members about the many different corporations, entrepreneurs, business owners, and other professionals represented.
- Please see the Thursday Folder enclosed form or the attachment to the Heads' Letter online for further information.
- All business card submissions need to be received in the office by Thursday, Sept. 20 to be included in this year's directory.
- We are also offering our community the opportunity to advertise to our population through a black & white full page ad in the Corbett Prep School Directory for $250.
- A full page color ad is $350; the outside/exterior back cover ad is $750.
- There is one color front interior and one back color interior page each for $500.
- ALL checks are payable to Corbett Preparatory School of IDS. For more information please contact the main office at (813) 961-3087 or email Dewey Wong, Jr.
UPDATE FROM THE EAST SIDE TOMLIN FAMILY APP LAB
By John Palmer & Robert Johnson
On Tuesday, there was even more excitement than usual in our Tomlin Family App Lab. The PreK4 Beach Buddies came to work with Mr. Robert. Johnson and Mr. John Palmer, our STEAM Specialists, to use the zSpace 3D visualization computers to explore the systems of the human body. This added a wonderful hands-on experience to something they have been recently studying in their classroom.
Students were able to see 3D presentations of all the major body systems – including skeletal, digestive, nervous and circulatory systems – and were able to see a 3D model of a beating human heart, watch the valves open and close, and feel the pulse through haptic interactions, at resting and exercise loads. They were truly amazed and inspired! The teachers were thrilled to offer these curious young learners such an amazing experience, thanks to today's technology.
This was a collaboration between the App Lab staff, Beach Buddies Teachers, and Technology with Nick Gizzi and Michael Robinson ensuring the WiFi could make this experience a reality. This lesson combined everything for a successful demonstration to engage kinesthetic, tactual, auditory and visual learners.
Check out the photo album of the experience on Facebook!
CONGRATULATIONS MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS and TEACHERS!
Parents, thank you for the great turnout for the Middle School Back to School Night. Your attendance, interest and questions sparked appreciation from our teachers who enjoyed the opportunity to connect with you and share the expectations and plans for the year. We also thank everyone for making our new families feel so welcome as you moved throughout the Middle School for each of the information rotations!
Teachers, you can be proud! Many of us wish that we could go back to relive Middle School again with you as our teachers!
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
SESSION 2 is almost here!
The first session of After School Activities ends Friday, Sept. 28, and the second session begins Monday, Oct. 1. Please check for the new brochure online on Tuesday, Sept. 18 when all of Session 2 activities will posted.
Session 2 will run from Monday, Oct. 1, through Friday, Nov. 8. The many options provide an array of great extensions in learning and brain-friendly experiences to grow both the right and left sides of the brain. We know our students enjoy them because these six week sessions fill up very quickly.
GRATITUDE to ALL Of OUR FAMILIES for HELPING OUR STUDENTS FOLLOW the DRESS CODE EXPECTATIONS.
One reminder please. All shorts or pants are to be a solid color as described on page 17 of the Student/Parent Handbook. That once again helps the teachers from having to monitor stripes, patterns, etc. It's the reason we began this effort. We so appreciate your help. The kids look great!
BY PFA President Kaly Srinivas
NEW: CORBETT PREP PFA FACEBOOK GROUP Please note that we have a new Corbett Prep Facebook Group. Please remember to visit the group page and join to stay informed about all Corbett Prep related events! Join us and stay in touch!
24th ANNUAL CORBETT PREP KIDS CLASSIC GOLF TOURNAMENT & FALL RECEPTION!
REGISTRATION IS OPEN!!!
Register online to play and also have the option to become a Sponsor: https://corbettprep.ejoinme.org/golf
- Enjoy an evening with friends and families of Corbett Prep at the Fall Reception on Friday, October 5 from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Come out for a day of golf on October 8 at the beautiful Avila Golf & Country Club!
- Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. with a 10:00 a.m. shotgun start for the scramble.
- Sign up today to play in the tournament or become a sponsor.
- You don't have to have a foursome to sign up—we can pair you with other golfers!
- Sponsorships still needed for ALL levels!
PFA CLASSROOM FUND: REGISTER AND PAY ONLINE – Thank you to all the families that have already registered and submitted payment to the classroom fund! Your Room Parent Coordinators (RPC's) are excited to start organizing various school wide & classroom events for our children.
The Classroom Fund is essential and a $50 contribution per student is expected. Please remember you must first register your donation online and then select the payment option that works best for you (credit card or check). Please complete the online registration process and submit payment by Sunday, Sept. 30: https://corbettprep.ejoinme.org/classfund
PROUD MOMENTS SOAR
TO OUR CORBETT PREP FAMILIES, PLEASE SHARE SPECIAL MOMENTS SO THAT EVERYONE CAN ENJOY WITH YOU by EMAILING email@example.com
ISABELLA DONALDSON (6TH GRADE): Isabella kept raising money for the otters at Clearwater Marine Aquarium (CMA) even after completing her fifth grade International Baccalaureate exhibition project. She recently visited CMA and presented them with a check for $1,705 for Walle, the otter. She was able to feed Walle and pet her paws. A visitor there was so impressed, he added another $60 to her donation. Her goal was to raise awareness! Congratulations Izzie; you are making a difference!
SOPHIA DE JESUS (BRILLIANT BUG- Multi-age 1/2) is now a published book author at age 7. Sophia along with help from her Mom published a children's book called Can I bring home a Mermaid? The book is about imagining what you would do if a Mermaid could come home to play. Sophia used her creative imagination to come up with the scenes for the book, and she also helped her Mom write the rhyming story. Sophia and her Mom hope the book, which is now being sold on Amazon, will inspire other children to use their imagination. Congratulations Sophia!! We will definitely purchase copies of your book for our Laney Library!
THE COMMUNITY SCHOOL FOR SPORTS (CSS)The Ultimate Warriors Youth Basketball League begins this Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018.Street Hockey begins Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018. There is still time to register.
For more information, contact CSS Director Carmyn Samuel through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (813) 784-2808.
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES And Noon Dismissal
Sept. 27 and 28, 2018
And NOON DISMISSAL REMINDER – Sept. 26, 2018
- TEACHER INSERVICE on WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26: Reminder that it is important to pick up your children by 12 p.m. to allow our teachers to have lunch and begin inservice training promptly, so they also can prepare for conferences.
- EXTENDED DAY PROVIDED on Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018, noon until 6:00 pm. Activities will be based in the Extended Day Room.
As always, the cost for the afternoon will be $15, regardless of the length of stay (except for those on the Yearly Extended Day plan). An afternoon snack and juice will be provided. All students attending Extended Day are required to bring A LUNCH. Parents interested in this special Extended Day session on Wednesday, Sept. 26 need to REGISTER and PRE PAY by phone at (813) 961-3087 or in person in the office by Tuesday, Sept. 25. If you are on the yearly extended day plan, half days are already included.
- OFFICIAL DAYS for PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES: Our goal is always to connect with 100 percent of our families! Thursday, Sept. 27 and Friday, Sept. 28 will be "school-free days" while teachers meet and update parents on student progress. Be sure to check in with your teachers if you have any questions about procedures for conference signup times.
- MEETING WITH SPECIALS: All of our Specials will also be available to meet for conferences. Please e-mail Specials directly or call the office to make arrangements to connect with Music, Art, Drama, Dance, Physical Education, Library, Spanish, STEAM Application Lab, and Technology.