WEDNESDAY WILL BE A "GREAT and GRAND" DAY!
WE'RE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO WELCOMING GRANDPARENTS and GRANDFRIENDS!
PROCEDURES FOR GRANDPARENTS/GRANDFRIENDS DAY:
1. WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 27, the program begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. Grandparents and Grandfriends, please report to Gatlin Hall. Doors open at 8:05 a.m.
2. FOLLOWING THE PROGRAM, Grandparents and Grandfriends will visit the classrooms for a wonderful reception hosted by all Corbett Prep students, CAs, and parent volunteers. All students will have a chance to greet our guests, learn the protocol for being a host/hostess, and gain comfort and skill in meeting and greeting new people while spreading joy!
3. SEATING ETIQUETTE ALERT! ALERT for the program: Parents are asked to leave all seats for Grandparents and Grandfriends unless they are in need of special assistance. The students will be sitting in the bleachers for Grandparents Day.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO STAY FOR THE PROGRAM, PARENTS, PLEASE ABIDE BY STANDING ROOM ONLY. All parents will enjoy the entire show and lots more on Fine Arts Night on December 5!
4. DISMISSAL AT 12:00 p.m.: SCHOOL CLOSES FOR EVERYONE EARLY ON WEDNESDAY. Please be prompt with pick-up so the faculty and staff may also begin their holiday.
5. HOPES and EXPECTATIONS: We truly hope and expect our students to be at school, join in and do their part. Please remember that all students WEAR CORBETT PREP GREEN POLO SHIRTS. However, the WARRIORS' PRIDE CHORUS, BEGINNING BAND, AND THE SPIRIT OF IDS WEAR THEIR WHITE POLO SHIRTS.
**CLASSES AND EXTENDED DAY RESUME ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2019.**
PARKING OPTIONS FOR GRANDPARENTS/GRANDFRIENDS DAY:
All Teachers and staff will be parking at LOWE'S as a community service gesture.
GUEST PARKING WILL BE AT:
1. Corbett Prep parking lot on the East Side, or
2. Corbett Prep Middle School on the West Side, or
3. Our overflow parking lot on the East Side, or
4. Carrollwood Elementary: Our buses will run continuously to shuttle our special guests back and forth.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR MATHLETES!!
MATH COMPETITION UPDATE!!
by John Scott, Middle School Math Teacher and Math Competitive Team Coach
On Thursday, November 14, eighteen middle school students spent the day at a local math competition. There were one- hundred students representing six different schools from around Florida.
The results were stellar: We received a second-place team trophy, three individual grade-level trophies, and one student even qualified for the finals countdown round.
Our students all represented Corbett Prep with pride, enthusiasm, and a love of learning. Through hard work and preparation for this competition, they have learned resilience, teamwork, and a significant deep dive into math skills.
by Theodore (Ted) Richter
Corbett Prep's After-School Activity "One World" had the honor last week to have a special guest. Andrew Hudson, a family friend of parent Noelle Olson, is a diplomat for the Department of State. He is currently based at the Embassy in Bogota, Colombia.
Ambassador Hudson brought a wealth of knowledge to share with our ASA session about South America. His focus gave great information on diplomatic ties with the United States. The students learned about many South American countries, which were formerly one country that experienced migration. Two examples are many people leaving Venezuela to go to Colombia and the current struggles in many countries around the world experiencing change due to vast migration.
If you know of a visitor that would benefit our students in becoming globally aware and competent, please email Ksmithemail@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to leading the afternoon ASA One World class, Mr. Richter and Mrs. Smith-Rouse also coordinate our global initiatives with the ISC – International School Connection.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FUN FOR YOUR CHILD TO DO OVER THE WINTER BREAK?
We have a fun and exciting opportunity for you coming in December with drama and dance instructors Ms. Julie Nelson & Mrs. Lisa Ferlita. They will be offering a special Drama Workshop for 2nd through 6th graders. Please share this information with your friends and family you know who may also be interested as this is open to students who attend Corbett Prep as well as others in the community!
Space is limited, so please register with the link below as soon as possible! Due to the limited space, there is a zero-cancellation policy. Register with the link: https://www.corbettprep.com/community/community-school-of-the-arts Please feel free to email Julie Nelson if you have any questions! email@example.com
WHEN: Monday, December 30 (2 options available)
COST: $40/student for 1/2 day or $60/student for the full day
TIME: 9:00 a.m. – Noon
WHAT: Acting Games such as...
*Character Building Exercises
*Team Building Games
TIME: 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
WHAT: Musical Theatre
*Performance skills in dance
*Students will be guided through a routine from a Broadway show.
ANNUAL WINTER FINE ARTS NIGHT!
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2019 ...6:30 P.M., GATLIN HALL!
Parents, it's your turn to be the audience for an INCREDIBLE production where our students shine with presence, poise and enthusiasm for performing! You will be treated to an expanded, delightful show, even more than Grandparents and Grandfriends experienced the day before Thanksgiving. PLEASE READ DIRECTIONS BELOW TO MAKE THIS A SPECIAL AND MEMORABLE NIGHT. Key points to remember:
- Every student performs, and all stay until the end because everyone is in the finale.
- Please clear your calendars, and plan to allow students to participate in the entire performance filled with music, dance, instrumental pieces and student speakers.
- Every heart is always guaranteed to soar at this joyful performance!
DETAILS: All students from PreK3 through Eighth Grade are expected to:
1. PERFORM and WEAR CORBETT PREP GREEN POLO SHIRTS and khaki, navy or black pants. (The Warriors' Pride Chorus and Spirit of IDS wear black pants or skirts and white polo shirts.)
2. At 6:00 p.m., students will report to designated places where their Teachers will be awaiting them.
3. At 6:00 p.m., Gatlin Hall opens for adult seating and slide show presentation.
4. At 6:30 p.m., the program begins PROMPTLY in Gatlin Hall; please be seated by this time. All students will watch the performance with their classes on WIDS closed circuit TV.
5. It's always a truly exciting night and a special way to enjoy the holiday season!
CORBETT PREP ANNUAL WINTER BOOK FAIR
MONDAY, DECEMBER 9 through MONDAY, DECEMBER 16
THE ANNUAL CORBETT PREP FALL BOOK FAIR will take place at Barnes & Noble on North Dale Mabry Highway beginning Monday, December 9 and run through Monday, December 16. The feel of holding a book is still so special!
- All proceeds go directly to our Laney Library. Barnes & Noble donates a percentage of all sales to Corbett Prep during this week, including cafe purchases and cheesecake orders.
- This annual event provides an excellent opportunity for Corbett Prep families, alumni and members of the community to support the Corbett Prep Laney Library/Media Center while fostering a lifelong love of reading for our students.
- Volunteers can help the book fair run smoothly! If you are interested in volunteering during our Winter Book Fair assisting students during class trips or during Primary Night, please contact Ms. Bettyann Pitti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLASS FIELD TRIPS for BOOK FAIR WEEK:
- Students in grades 3 through 8 will be visiting Barnes & Noble on class field trips. Look for the Book Fair Permission Slip and the Field Trip Schedule in this week's Thursday folder! Please remember to purchase SCRIP to send with your child! Barnes & Noble scrip order forms are also included in this week's folder. The school receives additional funds when purchases are made with SCRIP.
- Students in Early and Upper Primary are invited to join us for Primary Night at Barnes & Noble on Wednesday, December 11. There will be stories and cookie decorating from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. for our youngest book lovers. The highlight of our Primary Night will be a performance by our spectacular Spirit of IDS Chorus at 6:00 PM! Please mark your calendars and plan to come for the fun and entertainment!
by PFA President Kaly Srinivas
PFA brings back POPULAR PDQ GIFT CARDS...$10 CARDS FOR ONLY $6
PDQ gift cards will be available starting December 2. Stop by the front office to purchase your gift cards. Please see attached flyer for more details about this opportunity.FOR OUR VOLUNTEERS!
THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR TERRIFIC VOLUNTEERS: As we prepare for Grandparents Day and the week of Thanksgiving, it is only right to take a moment to thank the countless volunteers whose contributions help us be successful. Please take a moment to thank your Classroom Ambassadors, PFA Executive Committee, and fellow parents who have volunteered at several events so far this school year.
PreK3 Flower Patch – Wendy Allen, Seema Bhalani, & Ana Rubenstein
PreK4 Beach Buddies – Michelle Phelps, Kristen Spoor & Ashley Boyd-Randle
K Frogs – Amy Dalsania, Alitta Galante & Mona Sachdev
Brilliant Bugs – Carmen Scalise & Allison Rogers
Mighty Monkeys – Ashley Frisco, Elise Ippolito & Mark Krumin
Cool Cats – Melissa Giunta, Marie Foster & Scott Parker
Navigators – Colleen Fitzgerald, Nicole Myers & Jocie Fletcher
Going Places – Tejal Patel & Michelle Foley
All-Stars – Amisha Patel, Laura Frasor & Lakiccia Dunnagan
Penthouse – Suzanne Skelton-Parker, Grace Giminez & Lauren Doskocil
6th Grade – Becky Kuntz, Jan Han & Chu Cohen
7th Grade – Sheila Scott & Kristin Butts
8th Grade – Michalene Sennett & Stacy Fender
PFA Executive Committee:
Karianne Ankerstrand & Lauren Lipschutz – Co-Treasurer
Jocie Fletcher & Karin Ladis – Community Outreach Co-Chairs
Carolyn Aulicino & Kristine Reens – Big Event Co-Chairs
Paul Caplan, Wade Kornblith, Tony Muniz & Stacy Krumin – Peacock Classic Co-Chairs
Bonnie Kornblith, Mark Krumin, Brooke Brink & Allison Rogers – Fall Festival Co-Chairs
Brooke Henning – Advisor
Shane Fletcher & Scott Parker – Dad's Club Co-Chair
Suzanne Skelton-Parker – Fundraising Chair
Laura Frasor – Classroom Ambassador Chair
Connie Dorton – Athletic Booster Chair
PROUD MOMENTS SOAR
To our Corbett Prep families, please share special moments by emailing email@example.com.
ARYANA SHARABYANI (5TH GRADE) and AYEDEAN SHARABYANI (8TH GRADE) proudly represented Corbett Prep at the 8th Annual 5k Run in Temple Terrace this past weekend. Thanks to Coach Dan Kava and Coach Kathy Folen, the kids were well prepared!! Our coaches are all so proud of their above and beyond accomplishments!!