THE ANNUAL CORBETT PREP SPRING BOOK FAIR
The Book Fair is at Barnes & Noble on North Dale Mabry
Monday, May 13 through Monday, May 20
- This annual event provides an excellent opportunity for our families, alumni and members of the community to support the Corbett Prep Laney Library/Media Center. Barnes & Noble donates a percentage of all sales that are generated, including what is purchased in the cafe. Please remember to tell ALL cashiers at checkout that you are with the Corbett Prep Book Fair!
- Grades 2–8 Class Trips – Class trip schedules and permission slips are included in this week's Thursday folder. Please remember to check the schedule and return the permission slip. Summer Reading lists will be available, so students can purchase books for summer reading enjoyment.
- Primary Night, Wednesday, May 15, from 5:30-7 p.m. - Everyone is invited to join us on Wednesday, May 15 for "Primary Night" at the Book Fair! During "Primary Night" our youngest booklovers will be able to participate in cookie decorating and listen to stories. At 6 p.m., our fabulous Warriors' Pride Chorus will perform. Please mark your calendars and join us for the fun and entertainment!
- Please remember to purchase SCRIP for your family to shop at Barnes & Noble. The order form can be found in this week's Thursday folder. The school earns additional funds when purchases are made using scrip.
- Friends and family can also participate with their support. Just visit any Barnes & Noble store between May 13-19 or shop online and use our Book Fair ID# 12440509 at checkout.
UPPER PRIMARY ROCKS THE ½ MILE!
In preparation to "move on up" to the Intermediate Division, the Upper Primary Team ran the Half Mile on April 22.
With much excitement and 100 percent effort, all students completed this run with pride! We are proud of our amazing runners! Parents may email Coach Folen for this year's times.
The 2018-19 Upper Primary classes blew last year's record away, doubling it with 21 runners placing under 4 minutes, well exceeding the national average for their age group! There were 31 others who were able to meet the National average. Congratulations to our runners! All were recognized at our last Monday Morning Meeting!!
MILE RUN CHAMPIONSHIP 2019
THURSDAY, MAY 2, at 9 a.m.
All parents and family members are invited!
"It is now beyond question that students who exercise regularly have better nourished brains and higher achievement. In perhaps the most comprehensive review of the effect of exercise on the brain, researchers concluded that exercise promoted brain growth and brain function in many ways, including the stimulation of new neural connections and growth of new neurons in the hippocampus, the structure critical for learning and memory." – Dr. Spencer Kagan
The PE team agrees with the above quote and all five members of our PE Team have been working very hard to improve student fitness throughout this year. Students had two chances during the year to qualify for the Mile Run Championship by running a specific time. The qualifying times are:
- Intermediate (Grades 3-5): Boys - 7 min. 15 seconds or under; Girls – 8 min. 15 sec. or under
- Middle School (Grades 6-8): Boys - under 7 minutes; Girls – under 8 minutes
MIDDLE SCHOOL MATHLETES ENJOY A WEEKEND OF DIVING INTO MATH FOR FUN AND COMPETITION!
Our Mathletes represented Corbett Prep with pride at the Charter Mu Alpha Invitational last Saturday! More than 100 students from 14 schools attended.
Our sixth grade team won 2nd place, and seventh graders came in at 4th place! Congratulations to all of our students who participated!
Bravo and gratitude to Middle School Math Coach John Scott, who inspires his students to go above and beyond through study and competition! The entire Math department celebrates their grit and determination to give their best effort!!
THE COMMUNITY SCHOOL for SPORTS (CSS) UPDATE
OUR ULTIMATE WARRIORS' SEASON IS UNDERWAY!
CSS would like to recognize the accomplishments of our teams, as well as our current Corbett Prep students and alumni that are a part of our success.
7th/8th Grade Girls team (coached by Casey DeBord and Carmyn Samuel):
- Impress Me Basketball Tournament, February 15-17- 8th Grade Girls Runner-Up
- AAU Spring Fling, April 12-14 - 8th Grade Girls Div. 3 Champions
- Dynasty Hoops She Got Next, April 26-28 – 8th Grade Girls Runner-Up
- Dynasty Hoops She Got Next, April 26-28 – 10th Grade Girls Silver Division Champions
- Orange State Classes, April 12-14 – 7th Grade Boys Runner-Up
- Central FL Invitational, April 26-28 – 9th Grade Boys Bronze Division Champions
We would like to recognize our Corbett Prep current students and alumni who are a part of these teams:
Maxwell "Max" Fuller (class of 2018), Ricky Gonzalez (7th grade), Bailey Hamas (class of 2017), Tyler "Ty" Jones (class of 2018), Finn O'Neill (7th grade), Julian Parker (7th grade), Nash Patapoff (7th grade), Santiago Romero (8th grade), Camille Samuel (class of 2017), and Ethan Wilson (7th grade).
- In addition to our competitive teams, Ultimate Warriors offers skills training, camps, and 3-on-3 tournaments!
- Our focus is on progression to challenge players at all skill levels.
- We invite you to join Ultimate Warriors, offered for K-2nd, 3rd -5th, and 6th -8th throughout the summer at Camp IDS. For more information, please contact Ivan Romero or Carmyn Samuel.
PARENT FACULTY ASSOCIATION (PFA) NEWS
BY PFA President Kaly Srinivas
Two ways to show your Corbett Prep spirit:
MOVIE MADNESS on Wednesday, May 8, 2019... Villagio Cinemas at 11778 N Dale Mabry Hwy (next to Barnes & Nobles) @1:00 p.m.
A private movie event just for Corbett Prep families. Join us and spend the afternoon with your choice of movie. The following movies have been selected to suit all age groups:
AVENGERS-ENDGAME (PG 13)
Multiple lunch options available. All proceeds support Corbett Prep PFA. Please purchase your tickets online by Monday, May 6, 2019.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESTAURANT NIGHT AT NOBLE CRUST: Stop by Noble Crust in Carrollwood on Tuesday, May 14 to share your Corbett Prep Spirit. Our 2nd spirit night is scheduled during Spring Book Fair nights so our families can enjoy a family night out and spend time at the Book Fair.
Noble Crust will donate 20 percent of the receipts generated by Corbett Prep families. Please see the enclosed flyer in your Thursday folder for more details.
SEVEN GREAT OPPORTUNITIES to EXPERIENCE ONE of the WORLD'S BEST-KNOWN and FAVORITE MUSICALS
Community School of the Arts (CSA) presents the musical Cats with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot.
- Tickets are $10 if purchased in advance. You can purchase tickets from any cast member of the show or by visiting the Corbett Prep office. Tickets are $15 at the door.
- The shows will be presented in Gatlin Hall. For more information, please see the flyer attached to the Heads' Letter.
- For questions, please email the show's director, Mr. Seth Travaglino.
Remember we have multiple opportunities to catch this fabulous show for the whole family and all of your friends:
HIGH SCHOOL CAST: May 2-4, 2019
- Thursday, Friday & Saturday at 7 p.m.
MIDDLE/ELEMENTARY CAST: May 9-11, 2019
- Thursday & Friday at 7 p.m.
- Saturday at 2 and 7 p.m.
SPRING FINE ARTS WEEK for PERFORMING and VISUAL ARTS
ANNUAL SPRING FINE ARTS WEEK - MAY 6-10, 2019
This is a reminder that our Spring Fine Arts Day concerts will be on Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. in Gatlin Hall.
- WE OFFER TWO PERFORMANCES so parents can choose to be part of the audience for either the morning or afternoon performance.
- ALL STUDENTS PERFORM BOTH PERFORMANCES and all students are represented in the Art Exhibit in the Farish Center.
- THE ART EXHIBIT OPENS ON MONDAY, MAY 6, AND RUNS THROUGH FRIDAY, MAY 10. Please plan enough time to tour the art exhibit after either of the performances. All students are represented in the art show and on stage!