ADMISSIONS OPEN HOUSE
"HELP US SHARE THE GIFT OF A CORBETT PREP EDUCATION"
Thank you ahead of time for sharing the GIFT of a Corbett Prep EDUCATION with your friends and family by informing them of our upcoming Admissions Open House.
- Open House held on Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in the Grand Room.
- Please remember that if you have friends that you would like us to contact, call Karen Vaughan or Woodrow Samuel, Co-Directors of Advancement for Admissions, and/or Dawn Bronson, Admissions Assistant, at (813) 961-3087.
- They will be sure to give them a special invitation to visit Corbett Prep for a personal tour or personally invite them to our Open House.
SECOND ANNUAL STEAM SYMPOSIUM: MARCH 6 at 6 P.M.
Please join us in the Farish Center for a night of STEAM where you will learn a lot from our amazing and dedicated STEAM presenters from fifth through eighth grades and their inspiring teachers!!
- STEAM education refers to the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art of design, and Mathematics.
- This informative evening will give our STEAM presenters the opportunity to showcase their hard work and creativity in this rapidly growing interdisciplinary area.
SAVE THE DATE: LUNCH and EDU/TALK with "Dr. Joyce"
Thursday, March 8, 2018; 12:30 P.M. in the Grand Room for Lunch
- Dr. Swarzman will answer questions and share updates on security, the language of the Corbett Prep culture based on positive psychology and brain research, and additional information based on your questions.
- Come during your lunch hour and enjoy staying current and up-to-date, as well as joining in with other interested parents while enjoying lunch together! Bring a friend!
- Grand Room on the second floor of the New Building at 12:30 p.m. with lunch awaiting your arrival.
Headmaster of the Day
CONGRATULATIONS TO HEADMASTER OF THE DAY, 6-year-old Headmaster Gabriella Caplan, who ran the Monday Morning Assembly for 45 minutes for more than 600 people, with the support of the entire school and the amazing support from our Middle School students who led the school in applause, compassion, and sincere encouragement!! We were so proud of Headmaster Gabriella as she introduced topics including STEAM, the Sports Update, Mathematics with Matific, Big Event and a lively musical presentation of singing and dancing from Middle School's Musical Theatre Camp Rock production. Headmaster Gabriella inspired all! If you want a Headmaster in your family, the live auction will be Friday night, or you can still purchase raffle tickets!
TO ALL OUR TERRIFIC FAMILIES, FACULTY, STAFF, AND STUDENTS WHO VOLUNTEERED AT FIELD DAY 2018...
With Gratitude, Your Corbett Prep PE Team
A heartfelt thank you to all who gave time and hard work to share the joy on this special day of community! We put it out there, but you truly are the ones who make it happen with efficiency and so much fun for everyone! What a tremendous success, even the weather cooperated for us! We all got an extra boost of vitamin D!
And thank you to 4th through 8th grade students for accepting responsibility as "Bigs" with such compassion, empathy and maturity. Field Day is all about fitness and fun, more importantly, it's about character building through community service. Thank you to all who shared this treasured memory! Cheers to all of you! View the photos on our Facebook page!
CORBETT PREP MUSICAL THEATRE and CAMP ROCK ROCKED!!
This past weekend, the Farish Center was rocking and rolling as the Middle School Musical Theatre students performed Disney's Camp Rock!!
Two amazing casts with 46 students total! Every student was shining so bright and we are so proud of them! Six total performances, and each one was a hit! Bravo to all involved!! Thank you to Directors Seth Travaglino, Julie Nelson, and Barbara McBride.
DEAR EDWINA: MUSICAL THEATRE with CSA
- Looking for more opportunities for your child to perform?!? Mr. Travaglino is announcing that the Community School of the Arts will be holding auditions for their Spring production, Dear Edwina Jr., THIS SATURDAY FROM 9-10:30 AM. Simply show up to Gatlin Hall at 9 a.m., ready to have a great time!!
- This program is for students in 1st-8th grade! There is a $150 registration fee and each student will need to sell/purchase 20 tickets at $10 each. Performances are on May 12, 2018.
REMINDERS FOR OPTIONS:
A NEW SESSION for AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES BEGINS the WEEK of MARCH 5.
- The fourth session of After School Activities ends tomorrow, Friday, March 2.
- The fifth session begins Monday, March 5.
- The brochure was sent home in last week's Thursday folder and is available online.
COMMUNITY SCHOOL OF THE ARTS (CSA): TRIMESTER 3 begins MONDAY, MARCH 5 through MAY 18.
- The catalog for CSA Trimester 3 was sent home in last week's Thursday folder.
- For your convenience, you can register online through CampSite.
- If you have any questions, please email Tom McColley.
ULTIMATE WARRIORS BASKETBALL ACADEMY UPDATE
- The coaches of UWBA are in the middle of Session II after school basketball for PreK4 through grade 5.
- Based on demand, the academy will now be offering ongoing evening skills training sessions beginning March 6.
- Sessions will take place on Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m. for grades 2-5 and at 6:30 p.m. for grades 6-12.
- Registration is open in CampSite.
- Finally, for players wishing to be part of one of our spring basketball teams, email Coach Carmyn Samuel. Options available for girls and boys ages 6-14.
PFA NEWS by PFA President Tammie McFarland
WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE 80s, LIKE, TOMORROW!
ATTENDEES – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
The Big Event is TOMORROW, FRIDAY, MARCH 2!
- TPepin's Hospitality Centre is located at 4121 N. 50th Street, Tampa, 33610.
- Sponsor Preview Party starts at 7 P.M.
- General Admission starts at 8 P.M.
- There will be complimentary Valet Parking!!
REMEMBER TO BRING
- Your charged mobile phone and charger
- Your auction catalogue for reference
- Sponsors will receive a link via text message to begin bidding tonight, MARCH 1, at approximately 7 P.M.
- If you have yet to receive an invitation and would like to bid ahead of the event, please call or text Helga Bleyaert at 813-495-1990 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please provide your name and mobile number.
MARCH 2 AUCTION INFORMATION
- The Silent Auction Atrium sections will close at 9:30 P.M.
- The Silent Auction Ballroom sections will close at 10 P.M.
- The Live Auction will start at 10 P.M.
- Auction Items and Sign Ups will be exclusively available to Sponsors the night before the Big Event and for ALL Big Event Attendees / remote tickets during the night of the Big Event only.
WHAT TO WEAR
Go 80's crazy! Dressy casual is fine, too. Get ready to party, people!
PROUD MOMENTS SOAR
Corbett Prep families, please share special moments so everyone can enjoy with you by emailing email@example.com.
SOPHIA SPATARO (7TH GRADE): On Saturday, February 17, Sophia competed with her dance studio, All American Dance Factory, in the Onstage NY regional dance competition in Orlando, FL. Out of over 50 dancers, Sophia PLACED FIRST overall with her contemporary solo in the junior division. She was also named Miss Junior Onstage representing Orlando, FL for 2018! She qualified to compete in the national competition this summer. Sophia! That is amazing! Congratulations!!
BRENNAN FARGHER (6TH GRADE) ran in the Gasparilla 8K race this past weekend and finished first in the 11-14 age group! Congratulations Brennan!
MARCOS ARIAS (ALUM, 2015): After a long process of applications and interviews, essay writing, and a proposal of how to improve our city, Marcos was selected as a member of the 2018 Mayor's Youth Corps. He also won the Best Position Paper in the Model United Nations competition that took place in Gainesville in January 2018. Marcos claims proudly that he owes much of his success to his 10 years at Corbett Prep!
JACK HENRY NOUSS (ALUM, 2013): In August 2018, Jack Henry will begin his studies at West Point! Jack Henry has once again proven that dreams come true when combined with action and determination! We are all so proud of you!!!
MIDDLE SCHOOL COMMUNITY SERVICE DAY:
WHERE STUDENTS MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Middle School Community Service Day brought many memories of the joy of giving to others. What a heartwarming and beautiful day for all! When they returned to school at 11:30, it was time to reflect and return to their school responsibilities. The experiences are listed below:
- Mr. Shoe's, Mrs. Rivera's, and Ms. Moss' Advisories volunteered at the Community Food Pantry at the Presbyterian Church in Carrollwood. They helped with the Food Fair being sponsored by the organization. Some of the students worked in the pantry, others handed out special treat bags to guests, and one group helped to arrange the Bags of Hope which are hygiene bags that are distributed to families in need. The extra hands were truly appreciated.
- Mr. Chorvat's Advisory volunteered at Abby's Organic Farm in Lutz, Florida. This advisory helped with planting and harvesting crops, setting up activities for children who come to visit the garden, and checking and updating the hydroponics system that was destroyed during Hurricane Irma.
- Mrs. Cardona's Advisory volunteered at HorsePower for Kids. The students reflected that "the animals benefit from us feeding them, and our assistance contributes to lessen the work needed from the volunteers who work here."
- Mr. Barnes', Mr. Scott's, Mrs. Rosenberg's, and Mrs. Wolters' Advisories visited Metropolitan Ministries and worked on cleaning up the campus of Metropolitan Ministries, organizing the pantry, and preparing lunch for the homeless and near-homeless of Tampa Bay.
- Mr. Johnson's and Dr. Angello's Advisories visited United Cerebral Palsy of Tampa Bay. During their time there, the students visited a variety of age groups. They worked with infants through kindergarten children, offering fun and educational activities.
- Ms. Largent's Advisory visited the Northlake Senior Adult Center. Students were actively involved with residents, playing games like chess, checkers, and dominoes! Seniors enjoyed sharing stories from their youth, making for a great intergenerational conversation! The director of the center asked if our students could visit more often!
- Mr. McColley's Advisory continued a wonderful tradition by starting the day preparing breakfast for the facilities staff, Middle School staff, and each other. The students planned the breakfast, arrived at 7 a.m. to cook, and shared cooking and clean-up responsibilities. They headed to the Kids Clubhouse after beginning the day with their Corbett Prep tradition.
- Mr. Powers' and Mr. Travaglino's Advisories volunteered at the Head Start at MOSI. The students enjoyed working with the young students at the facility with reading, science labs, and art projects.
- Mrs. Lucas' Advisory traveled to the Hillsborough Education Foundation in Tampa. The students worked at the Teacher's Store at the facility sorting and preparing materials for teachers.