HAPPY NEW YEAR CORBETT PREP!
OUR TRANSITION to 2019: FILLED WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF SMILES!
- MONDAY, JANUARY 7, 2019 was a great day at Corbett Prep as we welcomed back our students ready to begin the new year. Smiles were everywhere, and teachers and staff were so ready to continue the 2018-19 school year with enthusiasm for helping each student reach and exceed expectations.
- ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 3, 2019, AND FRIDAY, JANUARY 4, 2019, all Teachers joined together in the Farish Center to begin two days of in-service, planning, and goal setting to ensure that we embrace a stellar 2019.
CORBETT PREP FAMILIES:
We have so much gratitude to you for honoring our faculty and staff so generously during the holiday season. Please know how much everyone deeply appreciated your thoughtfulness. HUGE kudos to the PFA leadership and classroom RPC's for generously sharing their time and energy to coordinate such an enormous task and heartfelt effort. The season was filled with gratitude and the appreciation was overflowing, sending everyone on their way to enjoy the holiday season.
SCRIP MAKES A DIFFERENCE
From the Business Office:
We had a whirlwind of people ordering SCRIP for their holiday family and work gifts. That was awesome! Thank you! Ordering SCRIP year-round is also a gift to Corbett Prep. Each SCRIP has a value of 1.25 percent to 14 percent depending on the business. The purchaser of the SCRIP gets the same value, the school earns the percentage, and everyone wins. Please remember that SCRIP is available ALL YEAR LONG by calling the business office or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks to our parents, grandparents and family businesses, over $125,000 of SCRIP gift cards were purchased through our office, providing Corbett Prep with a rebate of $6,400! So, we are sending a Thank You filled with gratitude for thinking of your school!
CORBETT ODYSSEY OF THE MIND TEAMS HARD AT WORK!
by Suzanne Meiners-Levy
The Intermediate Division team is exploring the works of Leonardo Di Vinci while the Middle School team is writing an original musical about sneaky social manipulation! Lead by coaches Suzanne Meiners-Levy, Connie Jones, and Kathy Sneary-Beachy, both teams are stretching their minds and teamwork skills while exploring STEAM principles through weekly spontaneous challenges.
Odyssey of the Mind and Corbett Prep are a perfect fit, and you can learn more by volunteering at the Regional competition on March 2!
We would love to expand the program next season. Odyssey of the Mind is a great opportunity for parents to work directly with students in a creative and rewarding environment. Interested? Contact school coordinator Connie Jones at email@example.com.
CALLING ALL PARENTS
PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL TO BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE INFORMATION BELOW THAT WAS SENT FRIDAY, JAN. 4:
Corbett Prep's website has a new password-protected Parent Portal that we hope makes it easy for you to find all the information you need. You can find it by clicking "Parents" on the Corbett Prep home page.
The private portal gives you access to update your family information, re-enroll online, and sign up for lunch, bus service, extended day and more.
As part of our online re-enrollment, everyone was sent an email on Friday, Jan. 4 with a username and instructions to set your password for MyCorbettPrep, our student information system. For your privacy this link expired on Tuesday, Jan. 8. If you need a new link to set your password, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at (813) 961-3087. Please remember that for online protection, this link will also expire in 72 hours.
The first time you log in, you will need to use the link we provide. From there, it will prompt you to create your own password. You can submit your 2019-20 re-enrollment contract from that same site. If you would like to return to the link at another time, you may come back to the parent portal and log in with the same credentials to access your contract as well as all of the other important information.
If you still need to receive your username and password link, please email email@example.com or call the office at (813) 961-3087. Eighth grade parents, your links should arrive today and be live for 72 hours.
COMMUNITY SCHOOL FOR SPORTS
NEW CLASSES START THIS MONTH!
The Community School for Sports (CSS) launches its Winter session with new classes soon. Offerings include basketball (PreK3-8 grade) and street hockey (grades 4-8).
Details are included in this week's Thursday Folder and can also be found online.
DRESS CODE REMINDERS FOR SHIRTS MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY YEAR-ROUND
(From Page 17 in the Handbook)
- T-shirts (such as the current green T-shirt) with Corbett Prep logo (center or side logo)
- Polo shirts with Corbett Prep logo (side logo only)
- Crew neck dri-fit shirts with Corbett Prep logo (center or side logo)
- Tie-dye T-shirts with Corbett Prep logo (center or side logo)
- Polo shirt dresses with Corbett Prep logo (side logo only)
- Dri-fit polos with Corbett Prep logo (side logo only)
- Long-sleeve shirts with Corbett Prep logo (center or side logo) are available NOW online and preferred, but optional until 2019-2020.
PARENT FACULTY ASSOCIATION (PFA) NEWS
BY PFA President Kaly Srinivas
Welcome Back Corbett Prep Families! A great big thank you to all the parents who volunteered and supported us in 2018. We have several exciting events planned in January.
BIG EVENT PLANNING MEETING: Join us on Friday, Jan. 11 at 8:05 a.m. for the first Big Event 2019 planning meeting and help plan the biggest party of the school year.
2019 CHILDREN'S GASPARILLA PARADE: Gasparilla Float Ticket sales close on Monday, Jan.14 at midnight. Purchase your tickets online! A special opportunity this year in honor of Corbett Prep's 50th Anniversary – we have joined with the "Krewe of the Conch Republic" for this year's parade. We still have some walking spots available for purchase!
JANUARY PFA MEETING: Join us for a Breakfast Meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 8:05 a.m. for the first 2019 PFA meeting.
BIG EVENT FOR ALL! ... MARCH 8, 2019
WE'RE GETTING DOWN TO SERIOUS BUSINESS: Planning the "party of the school year" business, that is!
- Join us this Friday, Jan. 11, after drop off in the room over the East Side office for our first planning meeting of the year!
- New and returning faces are welcome and encouraged to attend to be a part of this fun committee!
WHAT IS THE BIG EVENT?
It's a night of dinner, drinks, dancing and bidding on live and silent auctions. All proceeds from this event directly benefit the students of Corbett Prep at the classroom level. See the computers in your child's classroom? The Big Event helps fund this technology!
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
Did you know that NEW! THIS YEAR the Big Event is being held at ARMATURE WORKS on Friday, March 8?
SPONSOR THE BIG EVENT!
Sponsorships range from Patron Sponsor, $225, to Title Sponsor, $10,000. It's a great way to advertise your business or simply show your family pride in Corbett Prep!
AUCTION ITEMS NEEDED!
Do you have an item or service that you are willing to donate to the Big Event? Tickets to sporting events, theme parks, concerts, sports and entertainment memorabilia, kid's items such as toys, day trips, weekend getaways, lessons and sessions and/or so much more is greatly appreciated!To become a sponsor, donate an auction item, get tickets and ALL things Big Event visit us online!
PROUD MOMENTS SOAR
TO OUR CORBETT PREP FAMILIES, PLEASE SHARE SPECIAL MOMENTS SO THAT EVERYONE CAN ENJOY WITH YOU by EMAILING firstname.lastname@example.org.
RYAN MIRANDA (FIFTH GRADE) was named in the Tampa Bay Times last week as campaign manager for grandfather Charlie Miranda's run for Tampa City Council. When asked to describe the campaign message, Ryan replied, "Hope." We are proud of your positive leadership, Ryan!
THE 16TH ANNUAL STUDENT/FACULTY SPORTS CHALLENGE:
FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!
Friday, Jan. 25, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. - Register today!
Join us to cheer on our 8th grade girls' volleyball team and our 8th grade boys' basketball team as they play against your favorite East Side and West Side faculty members. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!! Enjoy this FUN-raiser while supporting our Corbett Prep Athletics department.
Remember to make your reservation online if you want to also have dinner. Pre-ordered meals include hamburgers, hot dogs, garden salad or chicken Caesar salads (all meals include a cookie and a beverage).
- Available all night, will be pizza, drinks, and other concession items in the Gatlin Hall gym.
- Also enjoy performances by our Cheer Squad, Mini-Cheerleaders, & the Fifth Grade Dance Mob.
- Remember the annual Free Throw and Hula Hoop contests are open to ALL who attend.
DO YOU LIKE TO PLAN AHEAD? IF YES, WE HOPE THE BELOW DATES HELP!
We always love to have our families join in with every opportunity provided to share time with our Corbett Prep students!
PLANNING AHEAD: KEY DATES
- Thursday, Jan. 17: School Wide Spelling Bee
- Monday, Jan. 21: School Holiday/ Student Day Off
- Friday, Jan. 25: Student/Faculty Sports Challenge (Gatlin Hall)
- Wednesday, Jan. 30: Noon Dismissal/Teacher In-service
- Thursday, Jan. 31 & Friday, Feb. 1: Parent/Teacher Conference Days
- Friday, Feb. 15: Noon Dismissal/Teacher In-service
- Monday, Feb. 18: School Holiday/Student Day Off
- Saturday, Feb. 23: Fine Arts Pancake Breakfast
- Wednesday, Feb. 27: Field Day
- Friday, March 8: PFA...Big Event "The Groovy Gala"
- Thursday, March 14 & Friday, March 15: Student Day Off/Teacher In-service
- Monday, March 18-Friday, March 22: Spring Break Week
- Thursday, April 18: Parent/Teacher Conference Day
- Friday, April 19: School Holiday/Student Day Off
- Monday, May 6: Art Show Opens
- Wednesday, May 8: Noon Dismissal/Teacher In-service
- Thursday, May 9, 9:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.: Spring Fine Arts Day (two shows)
- Monday, May 13-Monday, May 20: Spring Book Fair
- Thursday, May 16: Athletic Awards Night
- Monday, May 27: School Holiday/Student Day Off
- Thursday, May 30: Candlelight Ceremony/Moving Up Ceremony
- Friday, May 31: Last Day of School/Eighth Grade Graduation