Download Heads' Letter
- Monday, January 15: DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. NATIONAL HOLIDAY On Monday, we join America in celebrating the exemplary legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This holiday is always an excellent opportunity to have family discussions with our children about tolerance, holding tight to dreams that seek to make a difference, cherishing the importance of human rights, and valuing the U.S. gift of freedom for all. This day has also evolved into a national commitment to service.
- Wednesday, January 24: NOON DISMISSAL Teacher inservice and conference preparation, half-day for students. Extended day is available for this half day.
- Thursday, January 25 & 26: PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES Parents, be sure to check in with teachers to sign up for conferences. Our goal is always to reach 100 percent. Middle School parents may sign up online.
- Thursday, February 1: RE-ENROLLMENT CONTRACTS DUE for 2018-2019 Re-enrollment contracts arrived in the mail last week. Thank you to all of our early birds who have already turned their contracts in to the Admissions Office, along with their $750 deposit.
EAST SIDE: WELCOME TO CANVAS!
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that is revolutionizing the way we educate. It is designed to make teaching and learning easier by connecting all the digital tools and resources teachers use into one simple place. Canvas is used by top universities and colleges all over the world and now by our incredible students and teachers at Corbett Prep!
Middle School and 5th grade have been busy learning and using Canvas since the start of the school year and as of this week, we are pleased to announce, it's time to open access for all parents on the East Side.
How we use Canvas across the school differs based on the grade level. Therefore, we need to make an important distinction:
- Parents of students in PreK3-5th grade will use the Canvas Student App
- Parents of students in 6th-8th grade will use the Canvas Parent App
Please be sure to download the guide that gives all of the directions, and for those that want personal training in Canvas, training times are also listed.
MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT COUNCIL says Thank you Corbett Prep
The Middle School student council conducted our annual food drive just before winter break. It set a lofty goal to achieve in order to have a HUGE impact on helping to eliminate hunger in the Tampa Bay area by seeking to collect 1,000 pounds of food for the nonprofit organization Feeding Tampa Bay!
Student Council met and exceeded the goal with 1,049 pounds! Headmaster of the Day Headmaster/Dr. DaNia Brooks recognized this great achievement at last week's Friday Morning Meeting in front of 600 people!!
The Student Council would like to thank the Corbett Prep community for their generosity in helping to make the holidays brighter for families in need in Tampa Bay.
SESSION IV AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES BEGINS THE WEEK OF JANUARY 16, 2018
The third session of After School Activities ends Friday, January 12, and the fourth session begins Tuesday, January 16.
- Please check TODAY'S Thursday folder for the new Session IV brochure or you may go online to learn more.
- Sign up today to ensure your top choices. The many options provide an array of great extensions in learning and brain-friendly experiences to grow both the right and left sides of the brain. We know our students love them because the sessions fill up very quickly
- NEW ADDED TO THE BROCHURE for the Garden Club: The Culinary program and the Garden Club are combining forces for Session IV of After School Activities! Students will be helping to plant, grow, and harvest herbs to be used in the kitchen at our garden on the East Side of campus. We will learn about the sources of our food and how food is used in the culinary world. Students will work together to utilize the herbs grown to create fun, healthy, and exciting snacks!
CSA PRESENTS SINGIN' IN THE RAIN JR
See the classic movie musical come alive on stage in Singin' in the Rain Jr. Students in Corbett Prep's Community School of the Arts have worked since September to prepare for opening night. Directed by Julie Nelson and Jarrett Koski, Singin' in the Rain is packed with clever dialogue and Hollywood standards. The performance showcases students in sixth through eighth grade in four shows Jan. 26-28. All productions take place in the Farish Center. Tickets are available in advance for $10 each from a cast member or in the Corbett Prep office. They can be purchased on the day of performances for $15. Join us for one of the following shows:
- 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 26
- 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27
- 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 28
COMMUNITY SCHOOL FOR SPORTS - WINTER SESSION
The Community School for Sports (CSS) is back for its third Winter Session. Participants can choose from basketball, street hockey and yoga.
- A description of offerings is available in this week's Heads' Letter attachment, in your Thursday folder with a paper brochure AND online.
- Some classes have already started. Other classes officially begin Tuesday, Jan. 16. For more information, email CSS Director Carmyn Samuel.
THE 15TH ANNUAL STUDENT/FACULTY SPORTS CHALLENGE
FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! Friday, January 19: Register today!
Watch our 8th grade girls' volleyball team and our 8th grade co-ed basketball team play against your favorite East Side and West Side faculty members. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!! Remember to make your reservation if you want to also have dinner. Here's the link: https://corbettprep.ejoinme.org/sportschallenge.
- Pre-ordered meals include: hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, or grilled chicken salads (all meals include a cookie and a beverage)
- Available all night: pizza, drinks, and other concession stand items
- Performances by our Cheer Squad and Hula Hoop Team
- Free Throw and Hula Hoop contests open to ALL who attend
- Enjoy this FUN-raiser while supporting our Corbett Prep Athletics department
BY PFA PRESIDENT Tammie McFarland
GASPARILLA FLOAT TICKET SALES CLOSE on SUNDAY, JANUARY 14, 2018 AT MIDNIGHT!
CORBETT PREP GASPARILLA CHILDREN'S PARADE FLOAT
SATURDAY, JANUARY 20, 2018
SIGN UP NOW FOR A CHANCE TO JOIN CORBETT PREP'S FLOAT!
Here is your LAST chance at the "buy-it-now" for the coveted spots riding on the float and walking in the parade!
- There are premier and highly coveted seats available for purchase to ride on the float.
- There are 38 walking spots that remain!
- Remember, Children 6 and UNDER are only eligible to be float riders.
- Children 7 and OLDER are eligible to be parade walkers or float riders!
- There must be one adult for every two children participants.
Purchase online: Be sure to include your T-shirt size to receive your one-of-a-kind Gasparilla Themed Shirt.
Are you ready, Matey's? AAARRRGGGHH!
BODACIOUS BIG EVENT NEWS!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Next Friday, January 19th is Big Event Class Picture Day. Make sure your child is at school to say cheese! Pictures will be available for sale at the Big Event!
WHAT IS THE BIG EVENT? It's been most aptly described as "A Party with a Purpose." Dr. Swarzman likes to call it a "Friend, Fun, and Fundraiser." Simply stated, it is dinner, drinks and dancing paired with a live and silent auction. Oh, and you may have heard that this year, our theme is the 80's!
WHEN / WHERE IS IT? The Big Event will be held on Friday, March 2, 2018 at TPepin Hospitality Center in Tampa.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE MONEY THAT'S RAISED? The money raised is used to directly benefit our children. Take a look at the computers in their classrooms. We (The PFA) did that!
HOW CAN I SPONSOR THE BIG EVENT? We're so glad you asked! Look for the 2018 Sponsor Card in your Thursday Folder (It's the one with the DeLorean on the front). It takes the generosity of our gnarly school community to make this night a success.
A huge THANK YOU to the Palso Family for being the Big Event's TITLE SPONSOR for the 3rd year in a row! That is bad to the bone!
YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO DONATE? We would like, totally appreciate that! Do you have an item or service that you are willing to donate to the Big Event 2018? Tickets to sporting events, theme parks, concerts, sports and entertainment memorabilia, kids' items such as toys, day trips, weekend getaways, lessons and sessions and/or so much more is greatly appreciated!
Visit https://corbettprep.ejoinme.org/bigevent for ALL THINGS BIG EVENT!
UPPER PRIMARY 2018 SPELLING BEE RESULTS
By Kim Rostick and Vickii Johnson – Spelling Bee Coordinators
The 9th Annual Corbett Prep Spelling Bee competition kicked into high gear with the Upper Primary Spelling Bee taking place Wednesday, January 10. Students, parents and teachers were part of the audience in the Farish Center, watching expectantly as each student voluntarily stepped up to the microphone to put his/her spelling skills to the test. As our youngest Spelling Bee competitors, the Corbett Prep Upper Primary Spelling Bee featured 25 second graders from the Brilliant Bugs, Cool Cats, and Mighty Monkeys, who have their own classroom Spelling Bee competition to practice speaking with poise under pressure and to foster the joy that comes from practiced commitment to spell, spell, spell.
As with any competition with a national component, there are specific rules and procedures to be followed by the pronouncer, judge and spellers. The speller's role is to face the judges, say the word he/she is asked to spell, spell it loudly, clearly and distinctly, and then repeat the word again. Spellers were encouraged to ask as many questions as needed including the definition, part of speech or a sample sentence.
Once the hour-long competition concluded, the top three finishers were Ankita Dutta, Taylor Grayson and Arjun Nirgudkar. They successfully completed six rounds, spelling words that reached the fifth-grade level. They will offer a healthy dose of friendly competition for the 100 participants in grades 3-8 and proudly represent the Upper Primary Division during the 2018 Schoolwide Spelling Bee on Wednesday, January 17.
Congratulations to the 2018 Upper Primary Spelling Bee Contestants who gave the extra time and effort to voluntarily prepare for the competition: Alex Bingham, Makenna Bingham, Lucas Borosh, Ellie Brink, Collin Carey, Elia Celeya, Daniel Figueruelo, Colin Fargher, Jackson Frasor, Annabelle Gutowski, Dylan Gandhi, Zoe Henning, Krish Kocharlakota, Arjun Nirgudkar, Laila Patel, Rian Patel, Ainsley Ralph, Julian Rodriguez, Tiffany Rodriguez, Catalina Tarpley, Paisley Voelker, and Abbey Yokum.
FOLLOW UP FROM PAGE 1
JUST FOR OUR PARENTS: Middle School and Fifth Grade parents have been using Canvas for months now. It's now time to share the learning management system with our East Side parents – PreK3 through 4th grade. To make a smooth transition, we are offering our first three optional sessions for training beginning next week. If there is an interest for more, additional sessions will be offered. Mr. Michael Johnson, Middle School Technology Teacher and Director of Instructional Technology will be leading the trainings!
CANVAS TRAINING DATES:
- Tuesday, Jan 16th 8:05am (Grand Room)
- Friday, Jan 19th 8:05am (Middle School Tech Lab)
- Friday, Jan 19th 3:30pm (Middle School Tech Lab)
More learning opportunities to come!