STELLAR THESPIANS SHINE AT STATE COMPETITION
STANDING OVATION FOR TROUPE 88622!
Last weekend, Corbett Prep was represented by sixteen Middle School students at the largest Jr. Thespian Festival competition in the world in Orlando, FL. There were over 4,500 students, parents, and coaches registered for the state competition, and Troupe 88622 came ready to compete! Congratulations to:
- Joey Daniels, Wilson Davis, Zach Dorton, Maya Mehta, Keira Osborne, Carlos Pasquotto, Madigan Reens, Carlos Rivera, Mercy Roberts, Kiran Saligame, Annie Sardouk, Alex Smith, Emma Sobel, Jordan Solito, Elena Tarpley, and Camilla Torres.
The individual event competition showcased our troupe competing in nine individual events. Every one of our events earned a medal, receiving a score of either Excellent or Superior! Congratulations to all members of Troupe 88622-Woot Woot!
- Only those acts that have been awarded Critic's Choice earn the right to perform at the closing ceremony. Troupe 88622 Eighth Grader Elena Tarpley and 7th Grader Mercy Roberts were Critic's Choice for their Duet Musical "Some Things Are Meant to Be." Critic's Choice performers were honored to perform for 2500+ people at Orlando's Chapin Theatre!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR THESPIAN COACHES Seth Travaglino and Julie Nelson! Those long dedicated hours that our coaches and students devoted to rehearsals and mastering their performances paid off for all sixteen of these terrific students.
CORBETT PREP ANNUAL FIELD DAY
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21 12:30-2:15 P.M.!
CALLING PARENTS for an AWESOME VOLUNTEER TRADITION!
REMINDER: The Physical Education Department is excited to remind everyone about the Annual Field Day extravaganza to be held on the Corbett Prep Middle School Buchanan Sports Field. It is a school-wide event that is a very special day for parents, grandparents, and students. PreK4 through 8th grade are paired as "buddies" as they participate together in 30 cooperative and fun-filled field day activities.
Field Day is always a success because of the parent volunteers who help supervise the stations. It takes a huge number to make it work, and the tremendous turnout each year ensures a wonderful experience for our children. Volunteers, please sign up and select your Field Day station at http://signup.com/go/yUNvrtZ
- THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 15, NOON DISMISSAL FOR TEACHER IN-SERVICE
- FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16, TEACHER IN-SERVICE/STUDENT HOLIDAY
- SCHOOL RESUMES ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19 (HURRICANE MAKEUP DAY)
If you need Extended Day for Thursday, February 15 for noon dismissal, please remember to: 1. send a lunch and 2. reserve a space...unless you have a yearly plan!
PLAN AHEAD: NEW LUNCH SESSION III BEGINS MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26
SIGNING UP NOW WILL ENSURE A SMOOTH TRANSITION for your child's lunch program!
The Session III lunch form is in your Thursday folder and online.
- This is a reminder to complete the lunch form to make a smooth transition to Session III by signing up before Monday, February 26, 2018.
- The last day of lunch for Session II is Friday, February 23. Lunches include fresh vegetables, fruit, and a healthy drink.
- There is a generous savings on lunch costs when you order the Full Purchase Plan Option.
- Walk-ups are $6.50. WALKUPS will need to have a credit card on file with the business office or pay with cash or check daily.
- Thank you for planning ahead for our kids!!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR TWO UPCOMING ASSEMBLIES!
ALL PARENTS ALWAYS INVITED!
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2018 at 8:05 a.m.: Headmaster of the Day, Headmaster/Dr. Erin Turkel Friday Morning Assembly will be bringing entertainment and a lot of recognition and fun to the Friday Morning Assembly. Parents are always welcome for a wonderful way to start your day!!
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2018 from 8:30-9:15 a.m.: Corbett Prep partners with the University of South Florida Confucius Institute for a special presentation for the Chinese New Year! All families are welcome. If you have younger children, bring them too. It promises to be a truly special treat for our whole community!
THANK YOU to our parents who joined Dr. Swarzman for the EDU-TALK and TOUR on Tuesday! It was a great morning, and we always learn so much being together! Look for the next opportunity coming in March!
PROUD MOMENTS SOAR
TO OUR CORBETT PREP FAMILIES, PLEASE SHARE SPECIAL MOMENTS THAT EVERYONE CAN ENJOY WITH YOU BY EMAILING email@example.com
ANTHONY NELSON (ALUM 2014), after being recruited by multiple major universities, signed officially at Jesuit yesterday to play football as a scholar athlete to begin his freshman year at Harvard University, Fall 2018! Bravo to Anthony and his parents, Joli Cooper-Nelson and Tony Nelson.
BRENDENN FLYNN (ALUM 2014), also had a great signing at Jesuit yesterday for Lawrence University, where he will be playing football for the Vikings. Congratulations to Brendenn and his parents Deslynn and Lawrence Flynn.
Also, there to celebrate their accomplishments were Dillon Burrell (friend and Alum 2014) and Dr. Swarzman, so proud of our alumni.
BY PFA PRESIDENT Tammie McFarland
BOX TOPS SUBMISSION TIME! Box Tops for Education is an ongoing fundraiser and each box top brings 10 cents to Corbett Prep.
- You can find Box Tops on hundreds of products you know and love.
- This fundraiser raises over $1,000 a year for our school, so tell your family and friends to save Box Tops for you as well!
- The next submission date is approaching; please send your Box Tops to school with your child before February 23. Every clip counts!
BIG EVENT – IT'S GETTING CLOSER
THE NEXT BIG EVENT PLANNING MEETING IS THIS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 9! Yeah, they're like weekly now!
Join us in the meeting room over the East Side Office in the morning after drop off. Everyone is welcome!
A MOST RIGHTEOUS THANK YOU TO ALL STUDENTS WHO ENTERED THE AUCTION CATALOGUE COVER CONTEST!
We received an overwhelming response! The winner will be notified soon. All entries will be featured in the Big Event Auction Catalogue!
GNARLEY SWEEPSTAKES - TAKE YOUR CHANCE!
- WIN YOUR OWN PARKING SPACE FOR A YEAR
- SEND A TEACHER OR STAFF MEMBER ON A WEEKEND GET AWAY
- NEW - **HEADMASTER OF THE DAY SWEEPSTAKES**
EXCELLENT SPONSORSHIPS STILL AVAILABLE
Check out the Big Event Sponsorship Card in your Thursday Folder for more details. It's going to be epic!
TICKET SALES ARE GOING ON NOW! TICK TOCK!!
Get your Back to the 80's tickets today!
FRESH AUCTION ITEMS NEEDED
The Big Event needs auction items! Do you frequent local businesses such as restaurants, gyms, salons, golf courses, spas, boutiques, etc., where you can ask for donations? We would like, super appreciate that.
CALLING ALL CASSETTE TAPES, RECORDS AND 8-TRACKS TOO!
Check your attics and garages. Have any that you want to donate to the Big Event? Let Kristine Hawley Reens know - email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit corbettprep.ejoinme.org/bigevent for sponsorships / sweepstakes / tickets / donations - EVERYTHING BIG EVENT!
8TH GRADE FUNDRAISERS: BE A VALENTINE
BUY A FLOWER AND A CANDY GRAM!
Annual 8th Grade fundraiser: Show your Valentine's Day spirit by purchasing ROSES AND/OR CANDY GRAMS for Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
For more information about this 8th Grade Fundraiser, see the enclosed forms in your Thursday Folder.
RED ALERT: FOR ALL PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS AND FRIENDS OF CORBETT PREP!
Mark Your Calendars: Tuesday, February 20, 7:00 p.m.
The Parent's Playbook: How To Help Your Child Avoid Costly Mistakes Online and the Top Ten Mistakes Kids Make Online
YES! WE WISH WE COULD REQUIRE THIS FOR ALL PARENTS!!!
PARENTS: It's a different world out there. We need to be prepared! So, please join us for a parent-only evening to support "TEAM KIDS!" You may also bring adult friends who would like this information. This is for parents of children of all ages!
Corbett Prep is pleased to be able to host two informative, eye-opening presentations by Lori Smith on how to keep tweens and teens smart and safe online and on their phones. During the day, she will address the middle school students. In the evening, her presentation for parents will include:
- Understanding today's "Digital Native"
- Learn about the most common mistakes teens and tweens make on social media and how it impacts their future.
- Understand the legal implication of social media mistakes
- Learn how to monitor children to avoid school disciplinary issues. There are so many more options that parents need to know about and the information is constantly needing updates.
- Learn about new apps popular with teens and the risks involved.
- Resources to make you social media savvy parents
- How online behavior affects school enrollment, college admissions, and sports recruiting
- Question and Answer period to follow
There will be a second informational meeting with our very own screening of the film Screenagers on March 27, at 7:00 p.m. along with Q&A with Dr. Wendy Rice.