COFFEE TALKS with "DR. JOYCE"
MONDAY APRIL 16, 2018 at 8:00 A.M. and/or MONDAY, APRIL 16, 2018 at 5:30 P.M.
A famous quote by Holocaust victim Anne Frank, "I believe in the sun even when it rains," has been an inspiration for many through the years and for a lot us now. As the reality of the loss of our beautiful and devoted teacher sets in, we seek to shine the light on the positive impact one individual has had on so many – current students, alumni, parents and even people who connect with our school in unique and diverse ways.
To our families and students, we all appreciate how so many have supported each other and all of our school family with understanding, warm looks, encouraging emails, texts, Facebook comments, pictures of Kelly from years past, and of her daughter with her Mom and much more.
We are aware that so many in our community are waiting for news on how to respond and want to reach out to do something special. All actions are quite complicated at this time; as soon as we have more information, you will all hear immediately. Meanwhile, we will have two Coffee Talks on Monday April 16, one in the morning at 8:00 and one in the afternoon at 5:30. Both will be in the Grand Room on the second floor of the new building over the kindergarten room.
At this time, questions can be answered to be sure everyone has correct information. There will also be group and/or private support available and information on how to support our children now and into the future.
All of us, Administration, Faculty and Staff, want you to know that we are forever grateful to our Corbett Prep Community, both near and far, and to the many friends of Corbett Prep.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18, 2018
NOON DISMISSAL/TEACHER IN-SERVICE REMINDER:
EXTENDED DAY PROVIDED on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 12:00 until 6:00 p.m. Activities will be based in the Extended Day Room. The cost for the afternoon will be $15.00, regardless of the length of stay (except for those on the Yearly-Extended Day plan). An afternoon snack and juice will be provided. All students attending Extended Day are required to bring A LUNCH. Parents interested in this special Extended Day session on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, need to REGISTER and PRE PAY by phone at (813) 961-3087, or in person in the office by Tuesday, April 17. If you are on the yearly extended day plan, half days are already included.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WARRIORS' PRIDE CHORUS!
ONE MORE CHANCE TONIGHT, THE WARRIORS' PRIDE CHORUS PRESENTS Seussical Kids
The show is open to our families, friends and guests for TONIGHT, April 12, 7:00 p.m. performance. Tuesday's performance in the morning and evening was filled with fun and talent! Congratulations to our Fourth and Fifth Graders and their very talented, amazing director, Mr. Michael LeBlanc!
REPRINTED FROM APRIL 5 AS KEY REMINDERS
- THURSDAY, APRIL 12: Warriors' Pride Presents the Musical Seussical Kids - 9:00 a.m. & 7:00 p.m.
- TUESDAY, APRIL 17: PFA Hosts Skate Night at United Skates of America
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18: Noon Dismissal/Teacher In-Service
- FRIDAY, APRIL 27: 2nd Annual Daddy/Daughter Dance
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 9: Noon Dismissal/Teacher In-Service
- THURSDAY, MAY 10: Fine Arts Day for The Whole School – 9 a.m. or 1 p.m.
- MONDAY, MAY 14: Volunteer Appreciation Assembly
- MONDAY, MAY 14-MONDAY, MAY 21: Spring Book Fair at Barnes & Noble
- THURSDAY, MAY 17: Athletic Awards Night
- MONDAY, MAY 28: School Holiday/Memorial Day
- THURSDAY, MAY 31: Candlelight/Moving Up Ceremony
- FRIDAY, JUNE 1: Last Day of School
- MONDAY, JUNE 11: First Day of CAMP IDS
PFA HOSTS TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK April 16 - 20:
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Parent Q & A:
- Did you know that every Faculty and Staff member at Corbett Prep is a SUPERHERO?
- Did you know their powers go beyond being incredible educators?
- Did you know that Superheroes wear things other than CAPES?
Yes/No? Maybe you should. Why, you may ask? Well, because when the Corbett Prep Teachers and Staff members were created, their creator decided to BREAK THE MOLD. You'll have to search higher than high to find somebody, anybody; better than the Faculty & Staff we have here at Corbett Prep! They truly are our real life SUPERHEROES.
This year, we are going to have lots of fun celebrating our Teachers during the Corbett Prep Annual Teacher Appreciation Week. Thank you to those who participated in the classroom fund this year as it has helped make this possible! If you have any questions about Teacher Appreciation Week, please contact TAW Chair Lauren Lipschutz.
- Monday, April 16 – Super Power Breakfast – Your TAW Committee will give strength and power to each Faculty and Staff Member with a great breakfast including Kawha coffee and espresso drinks as well as fresh fruit and a delicious pastry. This will take place from 7:15a.m. - 9:15a.m. outside the East Side Office. We ask all students to wear their favorite SUPERHERO T-shirt.
- Tuesday, April 17 – "You are SUPER" Notes and Flowers for Sale – Your mission is to make your faculty and staff members feel SUPER! You can use the template we provided or design your own. Feel free to make as many copies as you'd like. Middle Schoolers will leave thoughts of gratitude on an oversized star hung on each faculty member's door. Additionally, eighth graders will sell roses at drop off on both campuses to make your staff feel extra SUPER. They will be $2 for a single rose or $10 for a bouquet of 5.
- Wednesday, April 18 – Superhero Game Day - Your TAW Committee will be around to each classroom testing each faculty and staff member's POWER by playing a game. What will they win?
- Thursday, April 19 - Super STAR Cookies – A delicious star cookie created by Sarah Snecinski will be delivered to all of our SUPERSTARS!
- Friday, April 20 - You are a HERO Thank You Gift - The PFA will give every one of our Corbett Prep Faculty and Staff Members a gift to show gratitude.
PARENTS AND TEACHERS AS PARTNERS!
SAT TESTING WEEK BEGINS NEXT WEEK!
- MONDAY, APRIL 16 THROUGH FRIDAY, APRIL 20: MIDDLE SCHOOL
- MONDAY, APRIL 23 THROUGH FRIDAY, APRIL 27: 2ND THROUGH 5TH GRADE
Beginning next week, we administer the national Stanford Achievement Test to our Middle School students. The following week, we will administer testing to our 2nd through 5th Grade students. First Graders practice what it's like to take an official test, so that they have the experience to prepare them for the following year when required testing begins. Below are suggestions and information for you to help prepare your children and yourself for this experience:
- PLEASE REMEMBER: Attendance and promptness are critical these days...It is much tougher to take the tests at a make-up time.
- PLEASE: Start getting your child/children to sleep at a good time beginning tonight and through the weekend and as East Side prepares for the next weekend. They should be very well rested.
- PLEASE: Provide a healthy nutritious breakfast. If they choose to resist breakfast, send what you have to school with a smile and the teachers will handle it.
- PLEASE: Smile at them a lot and let them know you think they are special just because they are your kids!! (And that is very true!!)
- PLEASE: Be sure to begin your mornings early and have children arrive early or at least on time!!!
- PLEASE UNDERSTAND: Part of giving the test is to avoid ALL interruptions. Specials are even on hold until after testing sessions each day:
If students are late, they will remain in the office and need to make up the tests during a make-up time after the initial testing is over. Middle School students who are late will only be admitted to the East Side main office until testing is over.
Remember, it's much better to take the tests at the scheduled time than have to make special arrangements for make-ups.
At Corbett Prep, test-taking practice takes place throughout the year and even more in the last few weeks. Please note that the process is integrated into the curriculum.
PLEASE KNOW THAT:
- We appreciate your support and help with attendance.
- We appreciate your support and help with being on time.
- We appreciate your support and help with the smiles generated within your families and shared with your children.