Dear Corbett Prep families,
Gratitude is in abundance for the many incredible opportunities that we shared during the 2018-2019 school year. In August, we began with our 50th Anniversary by honoring 50 years of dedicated service to students, and we ended the year with numerous events that culminated in a celebration of learning that included academic, social, emotional and physical growth.
The end of the year included highlights like exciting well-planned student class trips by teachers supported by our parents, the 8th grade Annual Candlelight Ceremony Assembly, followed by the emotional and fun rite of passage during the Annual Moving-Up Ceremony, and ended the last full day of school building connections, bonding, and honoring a year of impressive and incredible memories with a variety of creative and engaging activities.
And of course, the year for students ended with an extraordinary graduation for the Class of 2019! Simply stated, they were a total WOW with each graduate sharing stories, opinions and experiences at least 6 to 8 times at the microphone, during 90 minutes of true dedication to excellence. Their poise, presence and eloquence brought the audience to tears, laughter, and feelings of amazement that these young people were easily able to model leadership, confidence and a sense of who they are and who they want to become. Their 90 minutes at the microphones sharing memories and anticipating the future was followed by the ceremony to receive their diplomas and medals, along with an inspiring message from Jim Conlin, Board of Trustees President.
As we reflect on the past year, it is always our hope that at Corbett Prep, our families know that we value every moment with every student. Our focus is to ensure that every child is visible, cared about, and challenged to embrace academic excellence moving forward to meet and exceed the individual's needs and levels. In addition, embedded in learning are opportunities and lessons designed to develop wisdom, mindfulness, self-reflection, a lifelong learning mentality, healthy connections, as well as experience the joy of giving to others and contributing to the greater community.
After the last day of school, our teachers and staff always gather together for an intense post-planning week, where we reflect, evaluate, train, and plan for continuous improvement that will positively impact the next academic year. We want to hear from you as well. Thank you to all of our parents who have already completed the parent survey sent out a few weeks ago. There's still time to give us feedforward. Click here to complete the parent survey. As always, we appreciate your time and good counsel.
CONGRATULATIONS and GRATITUDE to the CLASS of 2019!
The Parent Committee of the Class of 2019 worked so hard and with true dedication throughout the year to honor the experience their children had at Corbett Prep. The committee led by Sam Zein and Danielle McClendon worked as a cohesive team with their class parents. The results were truly amazing and appreciated. Their class gift idea this year ended up showing gratitude to the Middle School by choosing to redecorate the Middle School office! This surprise was met with enthusiasm by all of our staff. Thanks to the fundraising, leadership, and generosity of our 8th grade parents this will be accomplished!
The generous donations by the Class of 2019 supported both the class gift and contributed to the fabulous graduation party at Carrollwood Country Club, which followed the beautiful graduation ceremony in Gatlin Hall. Special thanks to eighth grade parent Danielle McClendon who created a beautiful video shown at the party. The video brilliantly captured each graduate and his/her uniqueness. Kudos again to all of our Class of 2019 parent volunteers! Your positive energy was refreshing and inspiring.
Class of 2019 families, you are wonderful! We will miss all of YOU! Please visit often! We look forward to our alum families joining our Corbett Prep Alumni Association for both parents of graduates and for graduates.
SUMMER READING REMINDERS
All summer reading assignments were sent home in Thursday folders at the end of the year and are posted online. Please remind your children to have the reading and assignments completed prior to coming back to school on AUGUST 19! That first week is all about working with those assignments when they return!
If you need anything, including helping our students understand the importance of making the most of summer moments for learning, we are all here to help! The start of school will be full of reasons to celebrate learning and to dive in right from the beginning in the same way that every moment is key at the end of the year! Thank you, parents, your partnership is helping our students your terrific kids, be successful!
IN THE JUNE MAILING, YOU WILL FIND...
Look for the mailing in your home mailboxes beginning June 19.
- REPORT CARDS are included in this final mailing and are for your records. Each report card has grades and comments from all trimesters. Another hard copy is kept in your child's school record file.
- SAT TEST SCORES (for 3rd through 8th grades) are included in the mailing. Every year we like to remind parents that this is just one assessment. Some students tend to vary from year to year, depending on their reaction to a test. Scores can be either inflated or unrelated to what the student can accomplish. Overall class performance, on a day-to-day basis, has equal significance when noting a child's potential. Test taking comes easier to some more than others, so we always rely on multiple ways to assess student progress. The MAP TEST SCORES are included for Grades 1 and 2.
- SUMMER READING: This is a reminder that summer reading assignments and/or suggestions were sent home in your child's final Thursday folder on May 23 and are posted online. If you need another copy, please call the office at (813) 961-3087 or click here to see reading assignments for each grade. It's good to begin early! Summer is the perfect time to practice skills and read, read, read!! Our focus this year has been to install a love of literacy! We want to continue that positive energy 12 months a year.
BACK-TO-SCHOOL MAILING: Please be sure to look for your Back to School mailing at the end of July. Many of the items will also be online. We will keep you up to date. Please continue to stay in touch through Heads' Letter emails, Facebook, and Twitter. We are also here for you by phone if you need anything!
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS from CHINA ARRIVE IN MID-JULY!
As always, we open the opportunity FIRST to our families to host students from China. The group will arrive the week of July 8 and the week of July 17. The home stays will be from Monday through Friday each week. Please call Celeste Ross in the office at (813) 961-3087 to let us know you are interested in learning more.
Their stay here comes with financial support for all expenses. Our students and families have had great experiences being excellent ambassadors for our school and country and have learned so much as we help our students prepare for the global world that awaits them.
UPDATE FOR NEXT YEAR
We have received a lot of questions about faculty for next year. That information is always sent in our Back to School Mailing that arrives the last week of July. However, this year our line-up for 2019-2020 is already set with excellent candidates and as always, many excellent candidates from which to choose. All will arrive with the same Olympic mentality of the "best getting better." We are truly excited for our families to meet our new-to-Corbett Prep teachers when you return.
Meanwhile, we have deep gratitude for all of our teachers moving on and wish them everything wonderful.
- Jennifer Euliano, who returned five years ago after her first leave, will be retiring from her library/ reading support position for travel plans and more. We are grateful for her many years of devotion to IDS/Corbett Prep including raising two of our wonderful alumni. Jill Pomet will be taking Jen Euliano's position, which is now becoming full-time, and she will be teaming up with Mrs. Pitti.
- Kim Rostick, Fourth Grade Going Places, will be taking a leave of absence, now that both of her daughters (Corbett Prep alumni) are in college, to move back to Atlanta to be a support to her Atlanta family. Tracey Price, Third Grade Navigators, will be sliding over to Going Places to team with Tara Novell.
- Cindy Strickland, who moved from middle school division leader to the Fifth Grade Penthouse, will now be Head of the Lower School for Brandon Academy. Tim Mimbs, Middle School Technology Teacher, who returned home to Corbett Prep this year, will be moving to team with his previous partner, Linda Wenzel, (when they were the "Mimzels") and the fifth grade team. Matt Melnick (Mr. Mel) will return from his leave of absence to take the position of Instructional Technology Director for the Middle School.
- Adrian Barnes, Middle School Social Studies, completed his Master's Degree this year and will be moving to Denver, Colorado, to become a Dean of Students for an independent school.
- Maria Cardona, Sixth Grade Science Teacher, will be joining her daughter (Class of 2019) at Berkeley Prep as a high school Biology Teacher.
All of us at Corbett Prep wish each teacher much success as they transition to their new roles. We are totally grateful for their dedication to our students, our school, and our culture of continuous learning! We are always proud to be a "private school with a public purpose!"
OUR 2019 GOLF (Monday, October 14) and FALL RECEPTION (Friday, October 18) COMMITTEE IS AMAZING! HELP THEM SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL BY:
- The 2019 Golf/Reception Committee who is planning our next Golf Tournament care and value your opinion.
- Please take a moment to complete the survey by clicking on the link below to share your ideas and opinions.
- We extend our gratitude to those that have already completed the survey.
- Take the PFA Annual Golf Classic Tournament Survey 2019 online.
CAMP IDS is off to a great start! More than 150 alumni have joined us this summer to support our teachers and staff to ensure a fabulous summer for each and every camper! Over 1,100 students have already chosen to spend all or part of their summer with us! Please share or use this link for yourselves to join us this this summer!
PLANNING AHEAD for 2019-2020
- THURSDAY, AUGUST 15, 2019: PARENT ORIENTATION NIGHT for all parents of all NEW students including current families with new students at 7 p.m. in the Grand Room on the second floor of the New Building.
- MONDAY, AUGUST 19, 2019: CORBETT PREP OPENING DAY for students bright and early!! We're already planning for a DAY of WOWS TO SET HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR LEARNING, LEARNING, AND MORE LEARNING, as well as to honor the PRIVILEGE of being at Corbett Prep where every individual is valued and visible in extraordinary ways!
- FRIDAY, AUGUST 23, 2019: WELCOME BACK PARTY for the entire Corbett Prep Parent Community, from 7-10 p.m. in the Farish Center. It's always so much fun and full of joy to reconnect after the summer as well as meet our new families.
- THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2019: BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT EAST SIDE (PreK3-5th grades)
- THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2019: BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT WEST SIDE (6th-8th grade Middle School)
- WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2019: NOON DISMISSAL – TEACHER IN-SERVICE
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2019: NOON DISMISSAL – TEACHER IN-SERVICE
- THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3 & FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2019: PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES
- MONDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2019: THE CORBETT PREP KIDS GOLF CLASSIC TOURNAMENT at Avila Golf & Country Club. (See information in end-of-year mailing)
- FRIDAY, MARCH 6, 2020: THE BIG EVENT 2020!