KEY REMINDER FOR SMOOTH TRANSITION:
LUNCH SESSION III BEGINS NEXT MONDAY, FEB. 25
SIGNING UP NOW WILL ENSURE A SMOOTH TRANSITION for your child's lunch program! The Session III lunch menu is online.
For those who signed up in August for the WIN‐WIN program, you can smile. You are already paid up. We just need you to fill out the form for lunch choices!
HIGHLIGHT – 23rd ANNUAL FINE ARTS PANCAKE BREAKFAST: SATURDAY, FEB. 23
BREAKFAST in GATLIN HALL with YOUR CORBETT PREP COMMUNITY!
PANCAKE BREAKFAST PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE: 8:00 – 11:00 A.M. Saturday! SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS...
THIS WEEK: A VOLUNTEER JOYFUL OPPORTUNITY!
FIELD DAY 2019, WEDNESDAY, FEB. 27 12:30 – 2:15 P.M.
AN AWESOME VOLUNTEER TRADITION!
- The Physical Education Department is excited to present the Annual Field Day Extravaganza to be held on the Corbett Prep Middle School Buchanan Sports Field.
- It is a school-wide event that is a very special day for parents, grandparents, and students. PreK4 through 8th Grade are paired as "buddies" as they participate together in 33 cooperative and fun-filled activities.
- Field Day is always a success because of the parent volunteers who help supervise the stations. It takes a huge number to make it work and the tremendous turn out each year ensures a wonderful experience for our children.
- Volunteers please sign up and select your Field Day station at http://signup.com/go/BpTraQx
THIRD ANNUAL STEAM SYMPOSIUM: An Impressive Event!
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 27, 2019 – 6 P.M.
Please join us in the Farish Center for a night of STEAM where you will learn a lot from our amazing and dedicated STEAM presenters from fifth through eighth grades and their inspiring teachers!
STEAM education refers to the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art of design, and Mathematics.
This informative evening will give our STEAM presenters the opportunity to showcase their hard work and creativity in this rapidly growing interdisciplinary area.
NASA TRIP EXTRAORDINAIRE!
By Mr. John Palmer, STEAM Specialist
Over the Presidents' Day long weekend, our 7 Chinese visiting students, their teachers, and parent helper, accompanied by Corbett Prep Tomlin Family App Lab Teacher John Palmer, spent three days exploring the Kennedy Space Center and learning about NASA, the history of the Space Race, and the journeys to the Moon and beyond.
They explored the Space Shuttle Atlantis and visited the Saturn V rocket display as well as viewing many of the historic launch sites. The highlight was a meeting with Colonel Al Worden, the Command Module commander for Apollo 15, the fourth landing on the moon, the first to deploy the Lunar Rover, and the mission with the greatest scientific emphasis on lunar geology and lunar mapping. With China beginning a space program of its own, they were able to see and meet some of the giants upon whose shoulders the future astronauts will stand. Working through their teacher, Mr. Palmer was able to describe the exhibits and answer the many questions that the students had.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CSA CAST AND CREW OF THE WIZARD OF OZ!
by Mrs. Julie Nelson
All 84 Kindergarten thru 5th grade cast members were amazing as they took their audience on a journey down the yellow brick road. Thank you to all of the staff, friends, and family members who provided the actors with a standing room only audience for all 4 shows. It feels so great as a performer when you have an audience laugh and cheer as much as our Corbett Prep audience did! A huge shout out to all of the CSA parents who supported the production. We look forward to the next one! Mr. Koski and I are so proud of everyone. Gratitude to one and all!!
CSA: COMMUNITY SCHOOL OF THE ARTS for TRIMESTER 3 begins March 5
The catalog for CSA Trimester 3 was in your Thursday Folder last week. The trimester begins on Monday, March and runs through Friday, May 18.
- For your convenience, you can register online through CampSite on the Corbett Prep website.
- Please complete your registration before March 5.
- Remember, friends and family from the community are welcome in our CSA programs.
- We even offer private lessons for adults. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
DETAILS HERE: PANCAKE BREAKFAST PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE, 8-11 a.m. Saturday!
- 8 a.m. Advanced Band
- 8:30 a.m. Beginning Band
- 9 a.m. Primary Division
- 9 a.m. Visor and Face Painting booths open
- 9:30 a.m. CSA Musical Theatre
- 9:50 a.m. Middle School Musical Theatre/Thespians
- 10:10 a.m. Spirit of IDS
- 10:45 a.m. Warriors' Pride Chorus
DRIVE 4 UR SCHOOL: Also on Saturday! A great opportunity for the whole family! While you are enjoying students' performances at the Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, Feb. 23, you can also participate in an easy and fun fundraiser. Help us reach our goal! Three-hundred test drives will equal $6,000 for Corbett Prep!
WHAT: Take a FREE 10‐minute test drive in a new Ford vehicle and Ford Motor Company will donate $20 to Corbett Prep on behalf of every family who participates in the test drive. Last year we had 59 drivers. Let's beat that goal. We need 300 test drives to reach our goal of $6,000. Drivers must be 18 years or older and have a valid driver's license. One eligible driver per household. There will be zero follow up calls, unless requested by you.
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 23.
WHERE: Corbett Prep Middle School
PARENT FACULTY ASSOCIATION (PFA) NEWS
BY PFA President Kaly Srinivas
BIG EVENT HEADLINE NEWS
- Take your chance on the hottest ticket in Tampa! There is a set of 3 Hamilton Tickets for this Sunday's Feb. 24 2 p.m. performance up for grabs! Sweepstakes tickets are 1 for $10 or 3 for $25. Tickets are worth $200 a piece but are going for so much more online! Visit corbettprep.ejoinme.org/bigevent to get your tickets today! Sweepstakes closes 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 22. Winner will be announced at 8 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 22.
- If Hamilton is the hottest ticket in Tampa, The Big Event Groovy Gala is the second!! IT IS TIME TO REGISTER FOR THE BIG EVENT. Ticket sales are open until March 1. Register NOW!
- Remember, try to send that favorite teacher or staff member of yours packing, and while you're at it, take a chance on a parking space of your very own! Register for other Big Event Sweepstakes online.
PROUD MOMENTS SOAR
TO OUR CORBETT PREP FAMILIES, PLEASE SHARE SPECIAL MOMENTS SO THAT EVERYONE CAN ENJOY WITH YOU by EMAILING email@example.com
SOLANA ROSTICK, ALUM, CLASS OF 2015 and a senior at Sickles High School, is the recipient of the Tampa Police Department's Teen Excellence Scholarship, in the Chief's Award category. She was recognized at the Tampa Club on Feb. 22. Congratulations to Solana and parents Kim and Robert Rostick.
FIND ME PLEASE
OUR LOST AND FOUND AREA is loaded with truly beautiful clothing items, especially coats, sweaters and jackets as well as lunch boxes. Please check by the lunch pavilion on the East Side by Friday, March 1. After Friday, items that still need a home will be donated to a local charity. WE ARE ENCOURAGING EVERYONE TO WRITE YOUR CHILD'S NAME ON EVERYTHING SENT TO SCHOOL INCLUDING CLOTHES AND LUNCHBOXES so that we can easily return everything directly to your children! Thanks so much for helping us help you!
AUTHOR PRESENTATIONS coming to CORBETT PREP!
by Bettyann Pitti
Intermediate and Middle School Corbett Prep students will have TWO opportunities to participate in presentations by inspiring published authors!
On Friday, March 1 at 11 a.m., Frank L. Cole will present to our Middle School students and all 3rd and 4th graders (5th grade will be on a field trip). Frank L. Cole is the author of the popular Potion Masters series and several other titles. He wrote his first book at the age of 8! Mr. Cole is in town for a presentation at Barnes & Noble and book signing on March 1, 2019 and has agreed to share his writing process and the power of IMAGINATION with our students!
On Monday, March 11, Karen Kane will be here at Corbett Prep to present to our students in 3rd through 6th grade. Ms. Kane will give two separate presentations on that day. One is at 12:40 p.m. for 3rd and 4th graders and another at 1:40 p.m. for our 5th and 6th graders. Ms. Kane is the author of Charlie & Frog: A Mystery and a sign language interpreter. Her presentation will include information on deaf characters, the writing process, growth mindset and time for student questions.
Both authors will sign books for our students that have been pre-ordered. Order forms are included in this week's Thursday folder. In order for us to have the books available for the presentations, ALL orders and payments must be received by Monday, Feb. 25.
Parents, you are invited to join us for any of the presentations!