Discover Your Creative Genius at Corbett Prep’s
Community School of the Arts
Students of all ages from the Tampa Bay area can sign up now for classes in music, dance, art and theatre.
Nov. 19, 2013 (TAMPA, Fla.) – Learn to paint. Discover violin. Whirl through ballet, jazz or acrobatic dance. Delve into monologues, scene study and improvisation.
Children, teens and adults throughout the Tampa Bay region will uncover their creativity in upcoming classes in the Community School of the Arts (CSA), based at Corbett Preparatory School of IDS in North Tampa.
Registration has begun for the winter trimester, Dec. 2 to Feb. 21. Classes are open to all — regardless of whether students are enrolled at Corbett Prep — and available for adults as well. CSA offers lessons in vocal and instrumental music, visual arts, dance, drama and musical theatre, privately or in groups or pairs.
Participating in the arts is a joyful experience offering benefits to all ages. The arts promote cognitive development, stronger problem solving and critical thinking skills and may lead to higher standardized test scores. Artistic expression can also increase self-confidence, encourage positive growth in behavior and attitude and result in long-term connections to the arts community.
More than 400 students are enrolled in CSA classes this trimester, and ages range from PreK3 to adults. Options available include:
- Dance for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. PreK3 and PreK4 students can try Hip Hop Pee Wee, while kindergartners may explore ballet, acrobatics, jazz, tap and hip hop. Older students have those options and also contemporary/lyrical dance and pointe.
- Potpourri of Art for Adults, a Tuesday afternoon class that touches on various techniques including pastel rendering, painting, mixed media collage, printmaking and ceramics.
- Instrumental and vocal lessons as young as first grade for class voice or violin. Karen Pfister, who teaches violin, has performed with professional orchestras in Florida and North Carolina and is the director of Orchestras and Guitar at Orange Grove Middle Magnet School in Tampa.
- Techniques of Acting for grades 5-8 and 9-12. Actors Equity member and Corbett Prep drama teacher Emilia Sargent teaches the class, which focuses on stage etiquette, movement, character development, audition preparation and more.
- Musical theatre performances are open to students from first through eighth grade. Rehearsals are underway for Alice in Wonderland Jr., which opens Dec. 6. Urinetown the Musical for high school students with Seth Travaglino will run from April 4-6 with the times and cast to be announced.
To learn more about these classes and others, and for details about scheduling and costs, please visit our website: http://www.corbettprep.com/community/community-school-of-the-arts/. The Community School of the Arts will host an open registration day from 3-6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 25, in the Grand Room at Corbett Prep, 12015 Orange Grove Dr., Tampa. Call Tom McColley or Michael LeBlanc at (813) 961-3087 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.