Philosophy & Mission
CORBETT PREP VISION
To Accelerate Learning by Creating a Brain-Friendly Learning Environment That Is
- Joyful and Challenging,
- Stimulating and Productive,
- Nurturing with High Standards and High Expectations,
- Encouraging a Strong Work Ethic and Ethical Conduct with Dignity and Respect for All!
Corbett Preparatory School of IDS was founded on and remains devoted to the ideal that a happy child… one who is given respect as a unique human being and allowed to fulfill his/her needs to play, to investigate, and to be him/herself… is more open to learning than a child who is unhappy, tense, and fearful. We consider it our responsibility to foster each child’s capacity for learning, to help him/her grow morally, spiritually, and emotionally as well as physically and intellectually. Recognizing the many differences in learning rates and styles, we believe in individualizing each child’s school experience to whatever extent is possible for the fullest development of his/her potential. It is our belief that school should be interesting and even exciting, that each child’s work and behavior should be evaluated in terms of his/her own inherent capacity rather than through comparison with others, and that cooperation is more valuable than competition. Our goal is to provide a relaxed, but stimulating atmosphere wherein each child feels acceptance and encouragement in the achievement of success through the exercise of responsible choice.
Number 1: Our children first!
Number 2: To have a positive impact on the greater community!
We Do This by Creating:
- A place where all children excel in both learning and their love of learning
- A place where all children experience learning in a nurturing/caring, child-centered and highly academic environment
- A place where academic success is measured for all children through:
- everyday classroom tasks and tests
- authentic learning experiences
- national test scores
- A place where social and emotional success is measured for all children through:
- successful interactions with peers
- self-concept and high self-esteem
- respect for authority
- active participation in school learning
- enthusiastic participation in school activities and events
- respect for every individual’s safety, both emotionally and physically
- A place where all learning is designed to combine the societal needs for:
- achieving academic excellence
- mastering test-taking skills
- making the connection between school, work, and real life
Our objectives are many, yet they spring from a limited number of broad goals:
A. Getting Students Off to a Good Start: We help young people develop the foundation of skills, knowledge, and positive outlooks they will need to prosper in higher education and later life. We nurture self-esteem and cooperative skills. We help students learn to find joy in hard work and to work hard in a spirit of play. We seek to engender a life-long love of learning.
B. Encouraging Student Involvement and Assertiveness: We encourage students to assume an active role in their own learning, growth, and life. We function as facilitators, coaches, and mentors. We invite students to share in shaping their community. We offer a learning process that teaches students how to cope with data and reach for concepts, rather than simply to hear by rote. Our commitment to hands-on experiential education is a logical extension of this inquiry approach to learning.
C. Teaching the Whole Child: We provide a holistic learning experience that helps students to become not simply fine scholars, but also worthy, well-rounded human beings who have developed intellectual, creative, and physical abilities along with strength of character and sound values. We help students to explore the interconnectedness of learning and to see their lives as an integrated whole.
D. Nurturing the Individual: We provide instruction that is demanding, yet supportive and responsive to the unique strengths and needs of each individual student. We help students to understand and accept themselves. We challenge them to pursue a vision of “personal best,” rather than judge themselves by comparison to others.
E. Creating a Healthy and Diverse Community: We provide a caring and cordial atmosphere in which all members of the school family – students, staff, and parents – respect, enjoy, and seek to help one another. We give each other room to be ourselves, and we value openness and the constructive expression of differences of opinion.
F. Developing Cultural Awareness: We help students to understand their own cultural heritage, the heritage of other world cultures, and current and future issues with which they, as citizens of the world, will have to contend.
G. Preparing For Tomorrow…Today: We begin students’ exposure to the environmental, technological, social, and other global changes that will shape the world they will inherit as adults. We help students to begin building the foundation of skills and knowledge they need for life in the twenty-first century.
- Corbett Prep is dedicated to children first and seeks to nurture intellectual curiosity, emotional well-being, and strength of character in each child.
- The faculty consists of highly skilled teachers who consistently study to bring the best practices of education to life in the classroom.
- Teachers use interactive teaching techniques such as cooperative learning, multiple intelligences, and integrated curriculum to promote involvement in all aspects of student life.
- Emphasizing hands-on learning, Corbett Prep encourages students to take an active role in their education and creates opportunities to make significant connections between schoolwork and “real life.”
- Both new and experienced outside educators attend training workshops and visit to observe the M.O.R.E Approach, the application and integration of multiple options for results in education in Corbett Prep classrooms.
- Over 7,000 educators worldwide have observed and/or trained at Corbett Prep allowing the school to be a private school with a public purpose.
- State-of-the art technology is an integral part of learning from PreK3 through 8th grade. Along with exciting sports and amazing performing arts, all programs are designed to tap into students’ multiple intelligences.
- Designated as a Blue Ribbon School in 2004, an International Baccalaureate Middle School in 2007, and an International Baccalaureate Primary Years PreK3 through 8th Grade in 2008. Corbett Prep is also currently an International School Connection member dedicated to prepare students for success in an increasingly global world.